Google Pay Question

Options
I went to the shop earlier today and for the first time tried using Google Pay on my phone for a small transaction for 30 pound

Halifax card - did not work. Kept saying error
CC - did nt work, kept saying error

Monzo - third attempt of a card worked fine

Anyone know the issue?

Spoke to google pay and the banks and they said should work fine

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have you tried it somewhere else? I've never had a problem with it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not holding phone in quite the right place ?  I have found for instance the new terminals in Asda need the phone placed above the screen whereas the old ones would pick up almost anywhere.
  • xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi

It was more of an error like the card is not recognised. I cant remember the wording but it said something like contact issuer, card is not supported or bank is not supported etc. I tried it several trimes with both halifax and CC and same message all the time.

I then tried with Monzo and straight away - no issues at all.

First time ive ever used paying with a phone - as technology is heading that way i thought its about time for me to get used it
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    xlnc99 said:
    It was more of an error like the card is not recognised. I cant remember the wording but it said something like contact issuer, card is not supported or bank is not supported etc.
    Probably worth taking a screenshot if it happens again and then looking up the exact error message online....
  • xlnc99
    Options
    Yes true 

First time using it so didnt no what really to expect. It was a tiny little shop so it could be they did not use the bank or something? I am not sure how it al works to be honest. Cant understand how monzo worked without any issues.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't use GPay myself, only ApplePay, which essentially always works for me, with a number of different debit and credit cards. You could try making a (free) Curve card the only card you use with GPay, and then change your card / your purchases as you need to in the Curve app.

Curve also has a nice Anti-Embarrassment Mode which lets you set up to two backup cards which it will automatically try if your usual card doesn't work for some reason. This saves you fiddling about with cards at the checkout (though I can only remember one instance a few months ago when it was actually used, at a Lidl checkout).

Plus, their "Go back in time" feature allows you to move a purchase, less than 90 days old, from one card to another. 
  • xlnc99
    Options
    Curve does sound interesting but i just want to know why the cards are not working for my G pay so it doesnt really solve that problem.

I do like the back up mode of two cards - that is a good idea.

Not sure i understand the go back in time feature? How can you move a purchase to another card onces its been paid by a different card
  • colsten
    Options
    xlnc99 said:

Not sure i understand the go back in time feature? How can you move a purchase to another card onces its been paid by a different card
    I'll try to explain: Say I have two cards, one is an ABC cashback credit card, and the other an XYZ credit or debit card which has no cashback. My ABC card is currently maxed out until I the next monthly payment, so I have to use the XYZ card for now. But I really do want the cashback, so as soon as I can use my ABC card again, I move the purchases I have made from the XYZ card to the ABC card. 

I have absolutely no idea how Curve manage to do this but it works a treat and I use it quite frequently. Here is how Curve explains it: https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003750829-What-is-Go-Back-in-Time-
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    colsten said:
    xlnc99 said:

I'll try to explain: Say I have two cards, one is an ABC cashback credit card, and the other an XYZ credit or debit card which has no cashback. My ABC card is currently maxed out until I the next monthly payment, so I have to use the XYZ card for now. But I really do want the cashback, so as soon as I can use my ABC card again, I move the purchases I have made from the XYZ card to the ABC card. 

I have absolutely no idea how Curve manage to do this but it works a treat and I use it quite frequently. Here is how Curve explains it: https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003750829-What-is-Go-Back-in-Time-
    Unless it's changed, they just debit the other card instead & where it already debited the unwanted card - they refund it and debit the second one.

I found Curve to be flaky and would randomly decline. Once all my card issuers appeared on GooglePay, it quickly lost it's appeal.
  • colsten
    Options

I found Curve to be flaky and would randomly decline. Once all my card issuers appeared on GooglePay, it quickly lost it's appeal.
    My experience is completely different. It’s been working quite flawlessly for me and Curve has unique value for me as it often allows me to use [non-Amex] cashback credit cards where only debit cards are accepted. I appreciate such cards are now rare to come by, so this benefit is not available to all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback