Catalytic converter theft

Options
I am extremely surprised at the cost of catalytic converters
Mine (Suzuki Swift) is just £45
Why would anyone want to risk being caught nicking something so worthless ?
They used to be stated 25 +years ago as costing up to £1000

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is cheap.  I thought they contain platinum and other precious rare earth metals?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That is cheap.  I thought they contain platinum and other precious rare earth metals?
    They do.

It can be recycled...

And, yes, some are very cheap. They may be old stock being cleared, or otherwise being sold off.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133786782860
  • lordmountararat
    Options
    • you won't believe how hard a dishonest person will work for pennies, never mind pounds.
     A friend of mine had her Beemer front window smashed it just to steal a bag of apples that was on the front seat.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    • you won't believe how hard a dishonest person will work for pennies, never mind pounds.
     A friend of mine had her Beemer front window smashed it just to steal a bag of apples that was on the front seat.
    In the era of completely removeable car stereos (anybody remember lugging those around?) I had a car broken into in order to steal...the bracket from the dashboard.
  • Steve182
    Steve182 Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    In the 80's in Slough college car park, someone with a universal Ford key (all Ford keys were pretty much universal then) opened my Cortina and stole my £10 "not screwed down" parcel shelf speakers. 

I noticed they were not working as soon as I turned stereo on, but as it was dark I didn't know they were missing until I arrived home an hour later.

Another time at college I locked my car key in my car. Went to local laundrette to ask for a wire coat hangar. The lady there knew exactly why I wanted it without any explanation by me, and I got back in my car in 2 mins!
    “Like a bunch of cod fishermen after all the cod’s been overfished, they don’t catch a lot of cod, but they keep on fishing in the same waters. That’s what’s happened to all these value investors. Maybe they should move to where the fish are.”   Charlie Munger, vice chairman, Berkshire Hathaway
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Steve182 said:
    In the 80's in Slough college car park, someone with a universal Ford key (all Ford keys were pretty much universal then) opened my Cortina and stole my £10 "not screwed down" parcel shelf speakers. 

I noticed they were not working as soon as I turned stereo on, but as it was dark I didn't know they were missing until I arrived home an hour later.

Another time at college I locked my car key in my car. Went to local laundrette to ask for a wire coat hangar. The lady there knew exactly why I wanted it without any explanation by me, and I got back in my car in 2 mins!
    The 'universal key" was common place amongst most car manufacturers - especially BL based ones 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I remember in the 70s you could go into Halfords and there was board hanging up with about 50 keys on which was enough to cover 90% of all the cars in the UK.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Steve182 said:

The 'universal key" was common place amongst most car manufacturers - especially BL based ones 
    Not so uncommon in the mid 90's either. We went to the coast, parked and went off for a few hours, came back to the car, opened it with the key (remote central locking was extra back then), got in the car but couldn't figure out why it looked different. We then twigged that we were sat in the wrong car. Beat a hasty retreat (relocking the car that wasn't ours, obviously) back to our Fiesta. 

As for the catalytic converter issue, the staff at the local hospital are always having theirs stolen. Plus, last year some idiot was nicking one from a car in a garage and got crushed to death under the car he was stealing it from:

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-51326361.amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw==#aoh=16247829430355&csi=1&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Steve182 said:

Not so uncommon in the mid 90's either. We went to the coast, parked and went off for a few hours, came back to the car, opened it with the key (remote central locking was extra back then), got in the car but couldn't figure out why it looked different. We then twigged that we were sat in the wrong car. Beat a hasty retreat (relocking the car that wasn't ours, obviously) back to our Fiesta. 

As for the catalytic converter issue, the staff at the local hospital are always having theirs stolen. Plus, last year some idiot was nicking one from a car in a garage and got crushed to death under the car he was stealing it from:

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-51326361.amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw==#aoh=16247829430355&csi=1&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

I really want to say "serves him right" but that would be cruel ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback