Adding additional water meter to reduce sewage/wastewater charges

Options
As a new member I am not sure if this has been mentioned in previous blogs.
I have a large garden and and have metered water. I was paying sewage/wastewater charges for water used on the garden, obviously not going down the sewer. I noticed in the fine print of my terms that you can dispute the charge for sewage/wastewater and on doing this with Southern Water was advised to have an additional (WRAS approved) meter on the garden tap. This reading is now sent to SW and the charge for sewage/wastewater is removed from the water bill for this reading. Several of my neighbours have taken advantage of this.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

You do get an allowance of between 5% and 10%(depending on the water compayny) as an allowance for gardens and evaporation. This is normally achieved by reducing the waste water charge. e.g the Ofwat approved charge would be, say, 210p/m3 but you are charged 200p/m3.

The person who fought the battle to get water companies to allow the scheme - he had a large pond as well as a large garden - posted on MSE years ago; and also attemped to sell meters.

The problem is that very quickly people posted about the ways that this scheme was open to fraud. 

Some posters have systems to use rain water and 'grey' water(household water from baths/showers/washing machines etc) to flush toilerts. How much easier to simply use a hose from the addirtional meter? Better still run a hose to the main water tank.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback