MSE News: Martin tells ministers to stop hiding the student living loan parental contribution

While tuition fees get all the column inches, the biggest practical problem most students face is hidden. The living loan and/ or grant students receive is slashed based on parental income but there's no warning this gap needs filling. MoneySavingExpert founder Martin Lewis has written to ministers to urge them to stop hiding the university parental contributions built into the student finance system.

Read the full story:
'Martin Lewis tells ministers it's time to stop hiding the student living loan parental contribution - parents should be told they may be expected to pay £1,000s'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• I fully support this campaign. In addition, ministers should recognise the assumption about parental contributions when assessing siblings. When my eldest went to university our income meant that we were expected to make the maximum parental contribution - my income JUST crossed that threshold.  Our second and third are close in age and one year all three were at uni together. Contributions to the first and second are not taken into consideration for the subsequent assessments so they all got the minimum support.  Indeed our MP was able to confirm for us that whilst the assessments calculate what parents can “afford” to contribute, assessors also assume they won’t give the money to their children and that it remains available for the next! We did make the full contribution to each child but this required parental support at a greater rate than the assessments considered we could afford. There is light at the end of the tunnel - now all graduates, those wonderful children look after me well.
  • 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 177
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Students who qualify for the maximum student loan also often qualify for a variety of bursaries on top of that maximum loan, which those whose parents earn too much and therefore receive a smaller loan don't have access to.  I understand why this is the case, but it does make me think that universities and other organisations who award bursaries actually think that the maximum loan isn't enough to live on - and if this is the case parents who are expected to make up the shortfall for the loan may still be expected to give their child more on top of that.
    At my daughter's uni this is an extra £1000 a year - I've seen bursaries of up to £3700 at one uni.  We can't afford that on top of making up her loan to the 'full' amount.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback