VISA PROBLEM.

Options
I've got my own ebay business, and recently, because ebay have switched receiving payments via paypal and are now doing it themselves. I now have to pay postage on items I've sold via my Visa Debit Card individually, rather than my paypal credit, the problem is I'm now allowed around 30 transactions before the card is frozen for the day, which is less than my daily sales rate. I have contacted ebay, who were quite defensive and said it is the banks's problem, as their managed payments service is new'  they haven't worked out how to use your ebay managed payment#s credit for postage. The bank (Halifax) is saying Visa is doing it and is beyond their control. Visa only seems to have been imposing this limit within the past few weeks, as you can imagine it is very disruptive.

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 June 2021 at 9:29AM
    Options
    We had another poster with this same problem last month. The answer they received was to get a business bank account that won't have this restriction, and to stop trying to run a business from a personal account.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Or you can use 'Royal Mail Click & Drop' which integrates with your ebay account, and payments can be made via your paypal account. When an item is paid for in ebay, it appears in click and drop about 5 minutes later, and then once you've paid for the postage - it updates in ebay automatically about 5-10 minutes later.

You can also batch up your orders, and pay for several postages at once to reduce the number of transactions if you so wish.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • ThisnotThat
    ThisnotThat Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Or you can use 'Royal Mail Click & Drop' which integrates with your ebay account, and payments can be made via your paypal account. When an item is paid for in ebay, it appears in click and drop about 5 minutes later, and then once you've paid for the postage - it updates in ebay automatically about 5-10 minutes later.

You can also batch up your orders, and pay for several postages at once to reduce the number of transactions if you so wish.
    But the advice above to stop using a personal account for business still applies.
  • solentsusie
    solentsusie Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

But the advice above to stop using a personal account for business still applies.

As a sole trader in the UK, you don't have to have a business bank account, but you might choose to. Legally, you can use your personal bank account for both business and non-business transactions or you can set up a second personal bank account to use for your business.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

As a sole trader in the UK, you don't have to have a business bank account, but you might choose to. Legally, you can use your personal bank account for both business and non-business transactions or you can set up a second personal bank account to use for your business.
    What the law says (or rather doesn't say) is irrelevant if using a personal account for business purposes breaches the bank's Ts & Cs, which it inevitably will....
  • ThisnotThat
    ThisnotThat Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I have no idea why you needed to bold all that like a tabloid rag but it's not really correct.  It is against the T&C's of pretty much any personal current account (that I've seen the T&C's of at least) to use personal accounts for business purposes.  You won't get locked up for it, no, but you may find yourself being asked to take your business elsewhere, possibly at the most inconvenient time.

When there are fee-free business accounts available, it is simply nonsensical to open yourself up to that risk.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback