Best parcel companies for loss claims should the worst happen ??

Options
Hi all, after a bit of advice / experiences when making claims for lost or damaged parcels.
A friend recently sold something for £40 on ebay which in all fairness she picked up for £2 from a car boot. Sent signed for as told would cover up to £50. Item never got delivered but Royal Mail say will only refund what she paid for the item on proof of a receipt ie £2 and not the selling price.

Are there any companies people have used which will cover the selling price? I'm going to be sending some parcels soon and if the worse should happen...... 
Problem with signed for is that it goes with normal mail whereas special delivery is treated separately but even then will they only cover the item cost to me and not the selling cost?

Many thanks in advance ☺

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all, after a bit of advice / experiences when making claims for lost or damaged parcels.
    A friend recently sold something for £40 on ebay which in all fairness she picked up for £2 from a car boot. Sent signed for as told would cover up to £50. Item never got delivered but Royal Mail say will only refund what she paid for the item on proof of a receipt ie £2 and not the selling price.

Are there any companies people have used which will cover the selling price? I'm going to be sending some parcels soon and if the worse should happen...... 
    Problem with signed for is that it goes with normal mail whereas special delivery is treated separately but even then will they only cover the item cost to me and not the selling cost?

Many thanks in advance ☺
    If she was a private seller Royal Mail should have paid out the selling price.  If she's a business seller then I believe they only pay out the price originally paid (plus the postage, if it didn't arrive).  I don't necessarily agree with it but that's apparently how they work.

I've personally only ever had to claim from RM once, and not at all from any other company, so I can't help with real-life experiences.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As per Spoonie-Turtle it depends on whether the friend was a private or business seller- although many couriers, including RM now consider anyone selling on ebay as a business (probably due to the amount of wrongly registered sellers). The fact that this item was bought and then resold suggests a business- and RM are not alone in only covering the cost or sale price, whichever is lower. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Many thanks in advance ☺
    If she was a private seller Royal Mail should have paid out the selling price.  
    If an item was bought specifically to sell on for a profit then she's a business seller and should be registered as such with the tax office. If you're selling unwanted items from around the home then you wouldn't normally have a recent proof of purchase.  Maybe that's where she shot herself in the foot and provided proof of what she paid for the item, opposed to saying it's an unwanted item she's had for years?
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    epm-84 said:

Many thanks in advance ☺
    If an item was bought specifically to sell on for a profit then she's a business seller and should be registered as such with the tax office. If you're selling unwanted items from around the home then you wouldn't normally have a recent proof of purchase.  Maybe that's where she shot herself in the foot and provided proof of what she paid for the item, opposed to saying it's an unwanted item she's had for years?
    Yes, if they receive income of more than £1000 in a tax year from it.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options

Many thanks in advance ☺

Hate to say it but Hermes pay out the selling price plus the courier fee. I know people hate Hermes but they've always met a claim in full IME.
  • epm-84
    edited 31 May 2021 at 2:49PM
    Options
    epm-84 said:

Many thanks in advance ☺
    No.  You either need to be registered as self employed (filling in a tax return each year) or have a business registered, regardless of whether your business makes enough money for tax to be paid.  Even if your business is loss making HMRC must be aware of it. 

You also wouldn't normally pay tax on £1000 of income unless you also have another source of income.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    edited 31 May 2021 at 4:36PM
    Options
    epm-84 said:
    epm-84 said:

Many thanks in advance ☺
    No.  You either need to be registered as self employed (filling in a tax return each year) or have a business registered, regardless of whether your business makes enough money for tax to be paid.  Even if your business is loss making HMRC must be aware of it. 

You also wouldn't normally pay tax on £1000 of income unless you also have another source of income.
    Nope.  Under £1000 and if that's your only self-employment as a sole trader, you don't need to register or tell HMRC.  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income#trade
    If your annual gross income from these is £1,000 or less, you do not need to tell HMRC, unless:You must tell HMRC if you have:

(If you claim any means-tested benefits though, it needs to be declared obviously.)

If you've set up a business as some form of company then obviously you need to, but an eBay business in your own name as a sole trader only counts if you earn over the £1000 gross income.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread, only correct a misconception.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2021 at 5:45PM
    Options
    epm-84 said:
    epm-84 said:

Many thanks in advance ☺

Nope.  Under £1000 and if that's your only self-employment as a sole trader, you don't need to register or tell HMRC.  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income#trade
    If your annual gross income from these is £1,000 or less, you do not need to tell HMRC, unless:You must tell HMRC if you have:

(If you claim any means-tested benefits though, it needs to be declared obviously.)

If you've set up a business as some form of company then obviously you need to, but an eBay business in your own name as a sole trader only counts if you earn over the £1000 gross income.

Note that it is gross income before expenses, so less than £20 and gross income would include all the postage received etc as well as item cost. Most people assume that it is taxable income of £1000 which is an entirely different calculation. 

also of course we must remember that a business can be a business even without making any money , and its buyers/consumers are entitled to all normal rights that they would have from any other business. Technically therefore a seller would need to be properly registered on ebay or at least offer all the consumer rights expected of a business.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • epm-84
    Options
    epm-84 said:
    epm-84 said:

Many thanks in advance ☺

Hadn't realised they changed it. That page was newly written for the 18/19 tax year.  There are a number of exceptions though, so it's best for anyone to read the full details on gov.uk, as is the case with a lot of things.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    epm-84 said:
    epm-84 said:
    epm-84 said:

Many thanks in advance ☺

Hadn't realised they changed it. That page was newly written for the 18/19 tax year.  There are a number of exceptions though, so it's best for anyone to read the full details on gov.uk, as is the case with a lot of things.
    Absolutely agree, definitely best :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure