PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade houmous

hi there, 
I've tried to make homemade humous twice with 2 different recipes and it always turns out bland and lifeless. 

I made a batch last night it's it's just MEH ... no where near as nice as shop bough which i love. The ingredients seems simple/cheap i'm sure it must be better value to make rather than buying it but i can't work out where i'm going wrong.

i have a big tub in the fridge but i can't work out what im missing?   
  • May 2021 Grocery Challenge :  £198.72 spent / £300 Budget
  • June 2021 Grocery challenge : £354.19 spent / £300 Budget

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What ingredients did you use?  Off the top of my head, my humous recipe includes a clove or two of crushed garlic and a large dollop of tahini paste.  I also always blend the chickpeas with extra virgin olive oil, for the flavour, not regular cooking oil.

HTH

Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Happy_Sloth
    Happy_Sloth Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    this is the one i did yesterday 
    • May 2021 Grocery Challenge :  £198.72 spent / £300 Budget
    • June 2021 Grocery challenge : £354.19 spent / £300 Budget
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bit of lemon and coriander added? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
     I use equal quantities of tahini and lemon juice and whizz together before adding the chickpeas, garlic, cumin, olive oil and Tbs of water.  Keep tasting and adding more lemon juice or cumin until the flavour is how you like it.  Recipes can never be exact as it's all down to taste.  It's also nice if you add a pinch of paprika when you serve it.

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tinned chickpeas , extra virgin olive oil, 2 big cloves of garlic, lemon juice to taste, good pinch of salt, 1 tbsp of tahini, a dash of tabasco and a couple of spoonful's of the aquafaba from the tin is my go to and to me much tastier than the usual supermarket stuff. If you like it creamy a dollop of Greek yoghurt added instead of the aquafaba works well (or a mix of both).
  • gattona_2
    gattona_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The batch I made tonight was really nice with an added dollop of flying goose sriracha super hot chilli sauce
    It's not a cost of living crisis - it's a COST OF LEAVING THE EU CRISIS

UK exports to EU fell by £20bn last year, new ONS data shows

Figures show Brexit compounding Covid disruption, with clothing exports plunging 60%, vegetables down 40% and cars 25%

• Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Try adding some salt and a bit more garlic and lemon to the batch you've made.

I always use this recipe and it's really delicious--the sumac is optional and the hummus is still good without it.   
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 May 2021 at 10:30PM
    this is the one i did yesterday 
    I think that’s too much olive oil and not enough tahini.  I’d halve the oil, maybe 100-120 ml tahini. Salt lemon juice and cayenne to taste.  Use some of the water from the can if the mixture is too stiff.

It’s actually nicer if you use dried chick peas rather than canned.

PS a friend asked for sweet chilli hummus.  Is that just adding sweet chilli sauce to the mix?
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Top with cayenne (or chilli powder) if it's a bit bland.  I also like pine nuts on the top as they make it very morish.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    The best tasting hummus I've ever made at home was from Sami Tamimi's recipe in Falastin and it doesn't include any oil at all but does start with dried chickpeas.
    The recipe is also given on this page in the Guardian as part of a lamb dish 20 best Middle Eastern recipes: part 3 | Food | The Guardian.
    When I made it, I left my food processor going and set my kitchen timer for the five minutes and the result was a superbly smooth and creamy hummus with a lovely nutty flavour. I drizzled lemon infused extra virgin oil on top of it and then sprinkled sumac over it too and it was delectable.

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback