PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade houmous

Options
2»

Comments

• Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 856 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I tend to substitute yoghurt for the tahini - mainly because I don't have tahini in stock as a rule ( bought some, didn't use it very much, it went mouldy and stunk the kitchen out) . As Buicca said, that's a lot of olive oil and I notice it doesn't list salt - it definitely needs at least some salt in there, not surprised it's bland

2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe check the ingredient list of the shop ones you like, you might see an ingredient there that you don't use
  • Apintplease
    Apintplease Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I find a pinch of salt is required

I also dont always use tahini, peanut butter ( no need to add salt ) works

It really is a question of tasting, and also remembering the garlic flavour will improve with resting, its very easy yo overpower it with garlic

• chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have time, roast the garlic cloves. It makes the hummous taste incredible. Also experiment with adding things like roasted red peppers and chillies. 
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback