IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Saba PCN Hospital in Scotland

Options
Saba manages my hospital's car parks and during covid there has been and still is free parking. This has lead to staff parking there for the whole day, thus when I attended an appointment I couldn't find a spot. As I was late to an appointment that I waited 6months for and keen to not cost the NHS money, I parked on the grass verge, behind another car which did the same. Got a PCN after I came out. I was going to just pay the £30 but only managed to do so today and it's already £60 (the charge was on the 12th, today is 27th). So I'm minded to appeal it, or I'm happy to pay  £30. The place where I parked was not dangerous, did not block visibility or access. My parking did not cause any loss of earnings as no fees are payable at the time. 

Any suggestions on what to do, how to proceed? Thank you

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 May 2021 at 12:11AM
    Options
    there is no keeper liability in Scotland , yet, so as long as the driver is not divulged !!!

read the advice for Scotland in the newbies faq sticky thread near the top oif this forum, third thread down , in Announcements

but if you were a patient , complain to PALS and get it cancelled asap , plan A

if a staff member , complain to HR instead
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There's no point in pleading any mitigation now you've paid £30. They will almost certainly ask for the additional £30. They will probably ask debt collectors to chase and harass you with silly letters. I doubt they would do anything more than that for thirty quid. 

How to deal with debt collectors is detailed in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, fourth post.  
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 June 2021 at 6:39PM
    Options
    As above, complain to PALS and the head of the hospital trust.

The vehicle keeper cannot be held liable in Scotland yet, but that will change soon. Well done Ms Sturgeon for adopting a ridiculous English law and wanting independence at the same time.

Do not pay, and do not reveal the drive's identity.

I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • ahfat41
    ahfat41 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Redx said:
    there is no keeper liability in Scotland , yet, so as long as the driver is not divulged !!!

read the advice for Scotland in the newbies faq sticky thread near the top oif this forum, third thread down , in Announcements

but if you were a patient , complain to PALS and get it cancelled asap , plan A

if a staff member , complain to HR instead
    Just curious how pals can help and get it cancelled! Do they have that authority? Thanks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,641 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @ahfat41, I guess you haven't yet read the NHS Car parking Principles.

In there you will see...
    Contracted-out car parking
    NHS organisations are responsible for the actions of private contractors who run car parks on their behalf.
  • aleen
    aleen Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    So one day turned into the next and I've ignored everything, now got a Notice to Keeper/Hirer for the PCN in the post, with the full fine (£60) & admin fee £27. I'm not the keeper of the car if it makes any difference. What do I do next?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 June 2021 at 2:08PM
    Options
    What questions do you have that aren’t answered in the newbies thread about Scotland? 

Why is it a NTH, is your car hired or leased?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is not a fine. 
    As already mentioned, a vehicle keeper cannot be held liable (yet) in Scotland.
    How did you get on with your complaints to PALS/the head of the Hospital Trust and your MP?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • aleen
    aleen Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    What questions do you have that aren’t answered in the newbies thread about Scotland? 

Why is it a NTH, is your car hired or leased?
    Well one of my Qs is if i can still appeal and the second is how will I write to PALS, do I say who was driving and that the driver had an appointment?

I am just worried because I parked on the grass, as opposed to overstaying/not displaying a ticket or other types of things if this makes sense.

Car not leased or hired, just V5C is in the name of another person in my householder.
    Fruitcake said:
    It is not a fine. 
    As already mentioned, a vehicle keeper cannot be held liable (yet) in Scotland.
    How did you get on with your complaints to PALS/the head of the Hospital Trust and your MP?
    I have not managed to do it yet. Will I say that the fine is for me? In letters to PALS, or will I refer to the 'driver; etc?

Thanks both for your time

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 June 2021 at 3:46PM
    Options
    You have been told not to divulge who the driver was it's crucial not to do this in Scotland, you were also told it is NOT A FINE it's a speculative invoice. If you go and admit to being the driver the lowlife PPC will be able to nail you.

Unless you want to take this all away from the Keeper that is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback