Amazon closed my account, what is my next steps?

The backstory here is, I have had an account 4 years never had a problem up to now, yes I have returned the odd item here and there mostly as I have seen it cheaper elsewhere or I changed mind but up till recently had not done so in a long time.

My employer authorised some things to work from home such as a desk so I bought one, when it arrived I was worried about building it and the same day a friend gave me a barely used computer desk so I returned it, this was about 2 months ago.

Just under a month ago I bought a portable hard drive, when it arrived it looked ok so I connected to pc, ran a full format (I always do this) it seemed to be ok at first then stopped working, its recognised by pc but won't let me write to it giving errors.  I returned this and Amazon sent me a advance refund.

A few days ago I bought a expensive gaming monitor as a treat and it arrived broken, it wasn't noticable until it was powered on but there was a crack in about 1/10th of the screen so all I saw was the crack and colours, the rest of screen seemed to be ok.

I returned this yesterday.

This morning I wake to an email stating I returned the wrong item in the box for the hard drive, and unless I send in correct item I will be rebilled for it, and they have disposed of the item and claiming I have sent back incorrect items before.  And due to this they have blocked me from making more orders. I responded asking for more information and what they claimed to recieved.

Their response was basically almost a exact copy of the previous email just stating I returned wrong item.

What are my next steps? Its more about the monitor shall I get ball rolling and contact my credit card company and mention Amazon are refusing to refund, and give tracking details to prove its been sent back, what about the threat of rebilling me?

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You are a serial returner, no but but but because they aren't interested in why the goods are being returned just that they are. It doesn't matter that a long time ago you also returned items, just that you did and they soon mount up.

The latest incident claiming wrong item sent back was the last straw. Again it doesn't matter if they got it wrong or not, just that they believe you did.

You are now a risk they are no longer willing to put up with. Unfortunately this may (usually does) also extend to anyone in your household who also has an account with them. There is nothing you can do, I have heard this happens a lot but never heard of anyone getting it reversed.

Amazon returns policy is actually incredibly good, so good that people push their luck, not saying you did just playing devils advocate, but it soon catches up with them.

• JHW1942
    JHW1942 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Given that your account has now been closed, you may as well contact your credit card provider.  They can't close your account again!
  • bris said:
    You are a serial returner, no but but but because they aren't interested in why the goods are being returned just that they are. It doesn't matter that a long time ago you also returned items, just that you did and they soon mount up.

The latest incident claiming wrong item sent back was the last straw. Again it doesn't matter if they got it wrong or not, just that they believe you did.

You are now a risk they are no longer willing to put up with. Unfortunately this may (usually does) also extend to anyone in your household who also has an account with them. There is nothing you can do, I have heard this happens a lot but never heard of anyone getting it reversed.

Amazon returns policy is actually incredibly good, so good that people push their luck, not saying you did just playing devils advocate, but it soon catches up with them.

Im a serial returner in the sense I have returned items at all, in past 4 years i'd say 10-15 items, but I understand to a company even 1 is a lot to them its just frustrating they do this, I understand its up to them but also bad business practice to do so without a warning.

I was also thinking that they have admitted they have disposed of the alleged wrong item, and not telling me what it is and I don't believe they have the power to do this.

With the monitor not being refunded yet I am also worried they won't refund that, but don't know to go to card company now or give them 14 days from date of delivery about it.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The hard drive you returned. Was it sealed when you got it?
    Amazon seem to be taking the same stance with all returns where contents don't match purchase. It will be this that's triggered the account closure - must admit usually its on first occurrence, first time they have said that its happened before when coming here for help.

Amazon would fight any chargeback at bank level if they can prove you have tried, intentionally or not, to defraud.
  • It could just be a generic statement they have as it did feel that way, I can't remember if the hard drive was sealed at the time but the contents did seem new inside and looked correct and matched what I bought i.e colour, brand.

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Im a serial returner in the sense I have returned items at all, in past 4 years i'd say 10-15 items,
    That could be a lot, if you have only purchased 30 items in total, if it was 3000 then not so much so. I've only had to return 1 item in the last 10 years, completely wrong item was sent.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    10-15 items in 4 years is quite a lot, particularly if you are asking for a refund.

I have returned 2 items in 15 years, both of which were faulty, and both of which I asked for a replacement and not a refund. And the items were £15 and £30, so not a fortune. 

It is a private company and they can pick and choose their customers as they wish.

As for the items, then all you can do is contact your credit card and use your proof of return to show you have sent the correct item back.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • I have bought I'd say 200-500 items in that time maybe even more I didn't count.  A few were faulty or damaged upon arrival.
    The hard drive I got sent just had its cardboard packaging over it, and sent in that generic card envelope they send so zero bubble wrap.

The ones I did return I normally myself asked for refund as they may not have had a replacement in stock or I just decided to reorder same item from scratch as I was worried about rights on replacement item.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have bought I'd say 200-500 items in that time maybe even more I didn't count.  A few were faulty or damaged upon arrival.
    The hard drive I got sent just had its cardboard packaging over it, and sent in that generic card envelope they send so zero bubble wrap.

The ones I did return I normally myself asked for refund as they may not have had a replacement in stock or I just decided to reorder same item from scratch as I was worried about rights on replacement item.
    It doesnt matter how you make the numbers.
    Amazon have made a decision and past experience shows they wont change that
  • custardy said:
    I have bought I'd say 200-500 items in that time maybe even more I didn't count.  A few were faulty or damaged upon arrival.

It doesnt matter how you make the numbers.
    Amazon have made a decision and past experience shows they wont change that

Thats not what I am worried about, but it was in response to a lot of returns.

It was part vent, part worry about not getting a refund back for the monitor I have returned.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback