Faulty Boxt boiler

Options
Hi this my first post. Three weeks ago Boxt Ltd in Leeds installed a new Worcester Bosch boiler that developed a fault four days ago. So under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 I asked for a new boiler. They refused and insisted on sending a Bosch engineer to repair the fault.
After paying £1975.00 I felt I was entitled to a new one instead of a repaired faulty one. I rejected the the repair and asked for a full refund.
Boxt refused and told me that gas boilers are exempt from the Consumer Rights Act. I checked with Trading Standards who assured me that all gas boilers and gas appliances are covered under the CRA. I’m now in the process of trying to get my money back. I hope this helps someone who is considering using Boxt for their next boiler. Boxt have been very evasive and uncooperative. It makes you wonder if all those reviews on TrustPilot are genuine. I’ll put another post on in a week or two and let you know how things are going. Piney

Comments

• JHW1942
    JHW1942 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tricky one.  I can see why you'd want a new one, and you are entitled to a new one, but...

If the fault is relatively minor, and is confined to one discrete component or section, might you be better off with a replaced component than having the boiler removed and replaced, with all the things that can go wrong during that process?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would say you could get a new one, but all ther labour for removal and replacement would be chargable. This is probably why the company gave you some !!!!!! line. Much like "GDPR". They mena it's in your best interest.

Anyway much like computers, new refurbs are betetr than new. new means untested. Quality repaired means fully checked.

In my view they should be exempt for many reasons! Your odd action of wanting a new one rather than a better than new one for one. Also looking the company up I would never have used them! I am in Leeds also and could have recomended a guy! (guy not company, much better).

I will take everything back if you have a reasonable reason for a new one rather than a repair. You however have not given one.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well I guess they could refund you, then take the old one out. Leaving you with nothing to heat house or water.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Silver_Shark
    Silver_Shark Posts: 140 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2021 at 7:47AM
    Options
    I had a similar issue when a new boiler stopped working after a couple of weeks. I contacted the manufacturer who came and repaired what was just a loose wire. I do think you are being unreasonable expecting a new boiler. Let the Bosch engineer come and  repair the fault which could well be a minor issue.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Options
    I would much rather have a Worcester engineer fix it and check it all over, then have a new boiler which hasn't been checked at all. 
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 May 2021 at 10:18AM
    Options
    I agree with the consensus here. Yes, theoretically you are entitle to reject for a full refund but you need to bear a few things in mind. Firstly, and most importantly, when you exercise your short-term right to reject under the CRA the onus is on you to prove that there is a fault inherent to manufacture, rather than say something done during the installation for example. You can only do this by getting out a qualified service engineer to diagnose this, initially at your expense, so why not let the Bosch engineer come out anyway.

Secondly, what happens when they say OK you can a have a refund, they'll come out, remove your boiler, cap off your gas and leave you with no heating or hot water. You'll then have the inconvenience of sourcing and waiting for a new boiler to be installed by someone other than BOXT, who probably no longer want to deal with you again.

Finally, a boiler is just a sum of it's parts, and if there is a part that's faulty it should be a relatively simple repair and you'll have a working, and thoroughly checked boiler for many years ahead.

Sometimes, you need to stop a moment and think things through before demanding that your rights are fulfilled to the letter of the law.
  • The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    Worcester engineers have their plug-in diagnostic computer so do let them come and sort it out, the last thing they want is multiple warranty visits.
  • ivavoucher
    ivavoucher Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A feel it is a little unreasonable to expect a replacement.
    I think you most likely have a 10 year guarantee with the boiler so it's no disadvantage to you to have it quickly fixed. It would save a lot of time and money too.  
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,565 Forumite
    Options
    Last Active
    26 May at 6:47PM

Post a question & never come back... Nice...
    Life in the slow lane
  • Silver_Shark
    Silver_Shark Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Last Active
    26 May at 6:47PM

Post a question & never come back... Nice...
    They did say they'd put another post on in a week or two to let us know how things are going. Or maybe they won't if they don't like the answers they've received.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback