low cost legal advice

Does anyone have any experience of the low cost legal advice people or know of any.  There are a few online companies who claim to charge 'just' £50 ph
I cannot get through to CAB, they are too busy
I was too late to join the union
Its not in my insurance
I need more than the free 1/2 hour etc.

I have a serious issue over redundancy pay and employer misspaying me then claiming back.  Only I had a funeral to pay and had to use some of this money. 
Thank you 


  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,807
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you are over paid you have to pay it back. Did you ask for time to pay it back, if its paid now then there's not anything you can do. 
    As for funeral costs, if you haven't enough money, you need to ask the funeral director if you cam pay over time. 
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you for you thoughts on funeral directors,  the payment has been made unfortunately. 
    I was misled over start of new contract / consequence of contract, and how the employer acted / or didn't act.  I am also doing a different job completely. I did have a break but they backdated my contract.  A few other odd things as well.   I don't want to get into details here. The question is more about views on these online legal services v traditional solicitors.

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2021 at 5:04PM
    Have you spoken to ACAS?  
  • u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree with the quote.  But I'm hoping to avoid being forced to pay back money I cant afford didn't plan this situation nor expect it.

    I did speak to acas they saw issues with the process which had taken place.  But said it was a complicated situation and I should take legal advice.

    I'm thinking an hour or two of legal might help

  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,830
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 May 2021 at 6:30AM
    You might look to see if there is a university nearby that offers a free legal clinic. Where I live, the law students at the local university offer a free legal clinic under the supervision of their tutors.

    I'm surprised that your home insurers aren't covering this. When you said the wouldn't cover you is this because they have given you legal advice that says you don't have a good case?

    Failing either of the two options above, your only hope is to pay for legal advice by the hour. You can negotiate over the cost and the terms of payment, e.g. you might ask for 90 days to pay as this means you will have been to the employment tribunal by the time the bill is due to be paid. Be aware though that some employers don't pay even if the employee wins at the tribunal.

    If the employer can show that you were paid incorrectly, you owe them the money and it would be better to spend your money on repaying them, rather than spending it on lawyers so that you can delay or avoid repaying. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards