Fallen for licence renewal scam site. Can I get my money back?

Options
Hello. My husband went to renew his driving licence yesterday but unfortunately he did it through one of these scam sites. He's been charged £94 on his credit card. The payment is still pending. Is there anything he can do to get money back? He's kicking himself.

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Speak to your card company... sometimes they are sympathetic, other times they argue you gave your details willingly and most do technically provide a service to you (just not one worth the price)
  • lemondrops69
    lemondrops69 Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Plenty of threads on here about it, just use the search function.
    Will he get his money back? No.
    What can you do? I suggest you kick him as well
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ^^^ This
    Technically, the site is not a "scam".  The offered to provide a service, you paid and they provided the service they promised to.  Yes, it's ethically highly dubious, but it's not as though they failed to provide what they advertised.  Sadly you have a very slim chance of getting anything back - other than, as Sandtree says, if your card company is feeling particularly sympathetic.
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 May 2021 at 12:53PM
    Options
    I think there was a thread on this very topic very recently (LicenceSafe scam?) ... as I recall that OP got their money back - apparently.

Edit: this was the thread I meant ... https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6242903/licence-safe-scam#latest
    Jenni x
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same thing with Passports and even the EHIC cards before Brexit. For driving licences go to DVLA website
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Think to look out for is that the ""scam"" sites are usually marked on Google as   Site  (AD) if it says AD then it'll charge you extra.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,654 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello. My husband went to renew his driving licence yesterday but unfortunately he did it through one of these scam sites. He's been charged £94 on his credit card. The payment is still pending. Is there anything he can do to get money back? He's kicking himself.
    Contact the company & ask for a refund. 👍

Forget the bank. You will not get £94 back that way unless the company do not provide the service.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure