New Post Advanced Search

Licence safe scam

119 replies 20.1K views
MookerMooker Forumite
6 posts
First Post
Today I received a letter from DVLA to ask me to renew my licence as I am 70 later this year.
I headed onto google as the letter stated it was quicker to do this online. I typed in www.gov.uk renew driving licence. Stupidly I clicked on the first link at the top of the page, it all looked official! When I got to the end of the form it asked for payment, I assumed it was probably about £20 so put my bank details in as it told me it wouldnt be complete until this was done. There was no mention of an amount but I wrongly thought its DVLA so all is ok. I got an onscreen message saying my payment had been successful.
I checked my bank account to find a pending sum of £79 to licence safe! There is no way to contact them only an email address but they do not respond to that. I have contacted my bank and they have raised a dispute, but they have to give them 15 days to supply the goods if they dont supply I may get my money back! the goods being my updated licence which costs 0 to renew with DVLA ......feeling very cross that these people can do this and get away with it.
Just wanted to warn others to check you are using the corrrect Gov website. Thank you

Replies

• TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you mean "Licence Secure"? (that's the first link when I use those search terms).

Opening page clearly says:
    Licence Secure is in no way affiliated with the government. You can apply onto the UK Government website or DVLA to benefit from a reduced cost.

So unless they don't deliver the service, you may struggle to get your bank to help.
  • If they don't refund I'd take them up on this offer...

Licence Protection

Licence Secure covers any Driving Licence’s losses or thefts. We offer unlimited replacements of your Driving Licence if you lose it. After being informed of your request, we will apply for a new Driving Licence on your behalf; DVLA fees are on us.

About 5 times should do it

• edited 18 February at 9:12AM
    PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 February at 9:12AM
    Mooker said:
    Today I received a letter from DVLA to ask me to renew my licence as I am 70 later this year.
    I headed onto google as the letter stated it was quicker to do this online. I typed in www.gov.uk renew driving licence. Stupidly I clicked on the first link at the top of the page, it all looked official! When I got to the end of the form it asked for payment, I assumed it was probably about £20 so put my bank details in as it told me it wouldnt be complete until this was done. There was no mention of an amount but I wrongly thought its DVLA so all is ok. I got an onscreen message saying my payment had been successful.
    I checked my bank account to find a pending sum of £79 to licence safe! There is no way to contact them only an email address but they do not respond to that. I have contacted my bank and they have raised a dispute, but they have to give them 15 days to supply the goods if they dont supply I may get my money back! the goods being my updated licence which costs 0 to renew with DVLA ......feeling very cross that these people can do this and get away with it.
    Just wanted to warn others to check you are using the corrrect Gov website. Thank you

I believe this was briefly mentioned by Martin Lewis in his programme last week.
    IIRC, he said what these companies do isn't legally wrong but he felt it was morally wrong.
    He mentioned all the other things that companies offer a 'value added' service for such as passports, EHIC etc.
    Did you mean "Licence Secure"? (that's the first link when I use those search terms).

Opening page clearly says:
    Licence Secure is in no way affiliated with the government. You can apply onto the UK Government website or DVLA to benefit from a reduced cost.

So unless they don't deliver the service, you may struggle to get your bank to help.

Quite a few years ago, this was a hot topic on MSE (mainly passports).
    Some people did get their money back from their financial institution but then later the money was taken back when the companies appealed.
  • George_MichaelGeorge_Michael Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they don't refund I'd take them up on this offer...

Licence Protection

Licence Secure covers any Driving Licence’s losses or thefts. We offer unlimited replacements of your Driving Licence if you lose it. After being informed of your request, we will apply for a new Driving Licence on your behalf; DVLA fees are on us.

About 5 times should do it

I think that after making 4 or 5 fraudulent claims for a lost or stolen driving licence in a fairly short time, the DVLA might well start getting a bit suspicious about what is happening and could possibly start investigating the matter.
  • MookerMooker Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    My bank has told me I have to give them 15 days to supply my new licence, if they dont send it I can raise a dispute. I have cancelled my card so that it cant be used again!
    License Safe have told me I cannot have a full refund as it was processed within 24hours! even though I emailed them immediatly to try and stop it! Ive quoted consumer rights - cooling off period of 14 days to no avail , they have said the most they will give me back is £60 ... I feel so stupid :(
  • 2021BJ2021BJ Forumite
    307 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Mooker said:
    My bank has told me I have to give them 15 days to supply my new licence, if they dont send it I can raise a dispute. I have cancelled my card so that it cant be used again!
    License Safe have told me I cannot have a full refund as it was processed within 24hours! even though I emailed them immediatly to try and stop it! Ive quoted consumer rights - cooling off period of 14 days to no avail , they have said the most they will give me back is £60 ... I feel so stupid :(
    The cooling off period will end when the services are provided.  Their argument will be that those services have been provided.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Mooker said:
    Its £14 or so direct with DVLA, so a refund of £60 from license safe means you paid them £19 which seems pretty good really, only £5 more than you should have paid. Take the refund and make sure you are on the correct site next time!
  • MookerMooker Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    Yes you are right, but I wonder if they will supply my renewed licence, I also wonder if DVLA are aware that this company is scamming people out of money to renew or change driving licences. How can they be stopped? they must have made thousands of pounds at the hands of vulnerable people its so immoral what they are doing!
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's arguably immoral, but it's not illegal, so on what basis would they be stopped?
  • MookerMooker Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    I am 70 later this year, so my licence is renewed free of charge, you can see that on the DVLA gov site. ... so Im sorryJ on81uk  but there is nothing good about them keeping £19 of my money. I will obviously take more care in future.