Best time to get a sports deal?

dhokes
dhokes Posts: 311 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 24 May 2021 at 4:44PM in TV MoneySaving
So I'm currently a Sky broadband and TV user with sky sports and my contract is coming to end soon. I currently pay £67/month. The current package available by BT is more appealing. I'm wondering whether to negotiate a contract that includes sports now or wait until closer to the new football season starts. Do Sky/BT generally have better package deals on towards the new football season or should I just get a deal now?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dhokes said:
    So I'm currently a Sky broadband and TV user with sky sports and my contract is coming to end soon. I currently pay £67/month. The current package available by BT is more appealing. I'm wondering whether to negotiate a contract that includes sports now or wait until closer to the new football season starts. Do Sky/BT generally have better package deals on towards the new football season or should I just get a deal now?

Your contract does not "end", it just rolls over onto a new one with your previous deal expires and typically at full whack price wise.  If it ended you'd lose your broadband and your TV.

Offers are ongoing and tend to be as and when you phone them, available across the year usually.  You can always say to Sky BT will give me everything but the kitchen sink for £x a month but I'd rather stay with you, what can you do for me.
  • dhokes
    edited 24 May 2021 at 6:11PM
    dhokes said:

Your contract does not "end", it just rolls over onto a new one with your previous deal expires and typically at full whack price wise.  If it ended you'd lose your broadband and your TV.

Offers are ongoing and tend to be as and when you phone them, available across the year usually.  You can always say to Sky BT will give me everything but the kitchen sink for £x a month but I'd rather stay with you, what can you do for me.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. If I want to definitely move to BT, should I apply to BT first or tell Sky I want to leave? I'd want to keep the telephone line and switch it to BT rather than pay for a new one.
  • Neil_Jones
    edited 24 May 2021 at 9:23PM
    Check you are out of contract on the broadband first as you do not have a penalty free switching window like you do in gas and electricity, termination fees will apply up until your end date, normally pro-rated, so the closer you are to that date the lower they will be.

If you want to move to BT for your internet you would just sign up with BT and they'll do all the work, including sending you a new router.  All you do is unplug the Sky one and plug the BT one in on switchover day.  This will not cancel your Sky TV, its a separate product.  You can have BT TV and Sky TV, they are two different technologies.  Note that your Sky TV will require 31 days cancellation notice which cannot be before your contract end date and you cannot cancel before that date.  That' what you agreed to.
  • dhokes
    Check you are out of contract on the broadband first as you do not have a penalty free switching window like you do in gas and electricity, termination fees will apply up until your end date, normally pro-rated, so the closer you are to that date the lower they will be.

If you want to move to BT for your internet you would just sign up with BT and they'll do all the work, including sending you a new router.  All you do is unplug the Sky one and plug the BT one in on switchover day.  This will not cancel your Sky TV, its a separate product.  You can have BT TV and Sky TV, they are two different technologies.  Note that your Sky TV will require 31 days cancellation notice which cannot be before your contract end date and you cannot cancel before that date.  That' what you agreed to.

Thanks. I'm definitely out of contract as I contacted Sky's cancellation team and they confirmed it. Unfortunately their offer for me to stay wasn't as good as BT's current offer so I'll be signing up to BT tomorrow and calling Sky to notify them I'd like to cancel their TV.
  • Neil_Jones
    The other thing i meant to say as well:  Your direct debits will probably cross over.  You pay Sky in advance for the line/broadband and the TV.  It takes about 17 days to switch, so you may find Sky will take another debit from you for a full month before you leave.  This is normal.  Once you've moved away and you're up and running, you'll get back any credit, though this will probably manifest itself as a credit on your Sky TV side of things.  Once that is closed as per 31 days notice, you should get any credit back afterwards.  This may take up to 45 days depending on the billing cycle.  If you don't get it back after, say, 75 days at the absolute most, chase it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback