Lifetime Allowance Planning

Options
13»

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes but there's nothing to stop you from crystallising one part of a pot today, and then another part later on, so it could be a one-off event that occurs several times.  The same £ will never be hit with a lifetime allowance charge twice, although as lisyloo says, the growth on those undrawn £ will potentially be subject to another charge at age 75.
    It is actually possible for the same £ to be hit with a lifetime allowance charge multiple times if you transfer it from a UK pension to a QROPS and back again and repeat. So not quite "never", just for all practical purposes.

• kuratowski
    kuratowski Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    "Never?  Well, hardly ever..."
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is all incredibly helpful.  I am not fundamentally opposed to paying a fair amount of tax but I don't want to hand it to HMRC on a plate if I can legitimately avoid doing so.  
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LadyGnome said:
    This is all incredibly helpful.  I am not fundamentally opposed to paying a fair amount of tax but I don't want to hand it to HMRC on a plate if I can legitimately avoid doing so.  
    That is the best way to look at in my opinion.
    Sensible to take some measures to reduce the potential impact , but not to base your whole strategy around avoiding paying any LTA charges.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback