Fleeing domestic violence - getting belongings back

I am trying to help someone who has fled domestic violence.  She left with hardly any belongings and is now living in a different city but wants her clothing etc back.  She is afraid to go back to get her belongings as she is worried ex husband will attack her.  Would the police attend with her to help her remove her belongings.  Or would she have to just call the police if he attacked her?  She wants to ensure there is no attack.


  • squirrelchops2squirrelchops2 Forumite
    125 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I would advise your friend to contact her local domestic abuse services/women's aid etc and ask for their advice on how best to go about getting her belongings back.
    Been around since 2008 but somehow my profile was deleted!!!
  • Raindrop32Raindrop32 Forumite
    20 Posts
    10 Posts
    I agree with squirralchops. Your friend should not be going there alone. She certainly needs someone to be with her. The womens aid may ask police to accompany her whilst getting her belongings. 
  • sassybluesassyblue Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have known the police to accompany people back to collect their clothes.

    Happy moneysaving all.
  • edited 25 May 2021 at 12:20PM
    TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 May 2021 at 12:20PM
    It is sometimes possible to arrange for a police officer or PCSO to go with her to retrieve belongings, especially if they are clothes or other easily portable personal items - she'd need to talk to the non-emergency line for the police local to where the house is, and ask if they have a dedicated domestic abuse liaison officer. 
    If she has a solicitor to deal with the divorce etc. then they may also be able to help, perhaps seeking to arrange for her to go back with a friend or family member, or for a third party to collect her stuff on her behalf, by prior agreement. 

    If she has keys to the property and her husband works then another option would be to go back (with a friend or family member) at a time he is likely to be away, and collect her stuff. In that case, she would be wise to send a letter immediately afterwards to confirm what she has done, and to make clear she has only taken her own personal items, not anything which is his or jointly owned. 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools