Comments

• ZaSa1418
    ZaSa1418 Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Labtec81 said:
    ZaSa1418 said:
    Labtec81 said:
    Apparently my ex is moving house and hasn't said anything to me about it but surely I have a right to know purely for my children's sake, I obviously need to know where my children are and that they're safe, simply because I'm their dad, does anyone have any advice for me please??
    How do you know she is moving? Is she moving far? Will it affect the schools they attend or contact arrangements?  Have you confronted her about it?
    I found out via a mutual friend, I don't know where she's planning on moving to so I don't know how far. 

Because I don't know where she's moving to I don't know if it will affect their schooling.

There are no concrete contact arrangements at the moment, but I did start court proceedings in February which are ongoing, the first hearing wasn't until 13th of April and the next one isn't until July. 

Also my ex doesn't speak to me at all about anything 🙄
    Do you have a solicitor? if so i suggest you tell them. You could also call the childrens school and ask if there has been any contact from any other schools for their records. 
    LBM Debt Total : £48,326.50

Pay All Your Debt Off By Xmas 2023 - #50  £1,495.29 / £12,000.00
    Saving For Christmas 2023 - £1 a day challenge - #6 £100/£1095.00
  • mason's_mum
    mason's_mum Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There might be a reason why she hasn't mentioned anything yet?
    You sounds like you have all the wheels in motion for child access arrangements, what does your solicitor say? I do know of people who have prohibitive steps agreements in place which mean they can't move more than 20 miles away without the other parent's consent, and my cousin managed to stop the mother of his child moving to the USA (and taking said child) to live with a known drug dealer that she'd only met once and married, but that's a whole other story!

My partner has been trying to sell his house to move closer to the children for the last 10 months but it's been a nightmare, 2 buyers have both pulled out very close to exchanging, and the third is due to exchange this week - we haven't said anything to anyone as until exchange has actually happened nothing is guaranteed, and there is every chance that if ex knew about it she'd try to sabotage it in some way as she is desperate for the kids to have less contact than they do! We also didn't want to get the kids hopes up. although my partner is moving closer rather than further away, and he does all the pick ups/drop offs, inconveniencing her not a jot, so I guess it's kind of irrelevant to her anyway.
    We also have the same issues re arrangements for the children, my partner is never consulted on any decisions, Secondary school options were chosen with no discussion, hobbies are started and payment demanded with no discussion, plans are made on my partners weekends and he's told he has to take them to X or Y or she withholds access. She really would rather he disappeared out of HER children's lives, except for the hefty child maintenance payments of course....
    I hope you manage to get everything sorted, I never can understand why some women are prepared to do something which isn't in the best interests of the children to get one over on their other parent.
  • Labtec81
    Labtec81 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    74jax said:
    If you are bedridden how are you seeing the children now? 
    I'm not  I haven't seen them since December last year, but I have plenty of friends that my children know and they are more than happy to pick them up to come to see me. 
  • Labtec81
    Options
    gizmo111 said:
    Have there been any reports/contact ordered during the time between the two court dates?
    Are Cafcass involved - if so they can ask her what her plans are, if you think she is moving far away or abroad you can return the matter to court for a prohibited steps order.
    No, no contact has been ordered but a report has been requested. Cafcass are involved but I've heard nothing from them as yet..
  • Labtec81
    Options
    TBagpuss said:
    OP, in *general* yes, you would be entitled to know where your children are living.
    Also, if you think that is is likely to be moving a long distance you could ask the court to make an interim Prohibited Steps order to prevent her from moving them from their current schools, or taking them out of the immediate area, without the court's permission, pending the court making a decision about contact arrangements.
    I honestly don't know where she's moving to whether it be far away or still in the vicinity..

Do you know what form I would need to fill in to make an interim prohibited steps order please??
  • Labtec81
    Options
    ZaSa1418 said:
    Do you have a solicitor? if so i suggest you tell them. You could also call the childrens school and ask if there has been any contact from any other schools for their records. 
    No I don't have a solicitor as I can't afford the £4000 - £6000 quoted... and thanks that's an excellent idea about contacting their schools to see if there have been any requests made 👍
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have ou asked your ex? Rushing straight to applying for an order is a bit extreme if you haven't. If she has a solicitor, write to them, say you've heard via mutual friends that she is planning to move and ask them to confirm whether that's correct, and if so to confirm that you will be provided with the children's new address and the moving date once these are know, and in the mean time ask for confirmation that she is only moving locally and that it will not involve any changes to the children's schools, and that in the event that mum is considering moving further that she provides confirmation that she will not seek to change ether children's schools or take them out of the areas without prior consultation with you .

If she responds, then you will have a bit more information. If she doesn't, and you do need to apply to court for a prohibited steps order, then you will be able to explain to the court that you had sought assurances that she wouldn't be removing the children from their current schools and familiar local area but haven't received it so felt an order was needed .

Any application would be by way of a C2 as its's an application within existing proceedings.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback