Towel rails won't heat with water only

Options
Hi, just wonder if someone can help. For 15 yrs (with megaflow system) our towel rails heated up with water system so we had warm towel rails all summer - fab. Then last year our boiler started playing up and ever since then the towel rails will only heat up when the central heating is on, which means cold rails all throught he summer. We had a new boiler fitted and clock/timer and still the towel rails only come on withthe heating. Any ideas how I get them back to working with the water only. Thank you

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Normally towel rails run off the central heating so what you have at the moment is normal.  I have heard of towel rails fed off the supply pipes to the hot water cylinder from the boiler but I don't think that is done anymore.  I suppose there could be a valve somewhere that has stopped working.  You say they went wrong before the new boiler was fitted, otherwise I would be tempted to think the plumber who fitted it made other changes.   
    Reed
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 May 2021 at 6:18PM
    Options
    I think R_R has got it in one.
    The plumbing has been altered to do it properly rather than having it link to the hot water cylinder. I'm sure you could get it changed back but it would need the ministrations of a plumber to alter the pipework
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure