Gift cards giveaway is real or it’s fake???

Options
Hey mums, 
I see my friends always sharing gift cards giveaways and I’ve never tried it but times are difficult now and I just really want honest answers is this really works? Did anyone ever won anything? 

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like the sort of post designed to collect people's information
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No they’re fake. All those holidays, gift bags, gift vouchers etc, all fake! They really annoy me because they’re trading on people's desperation, let’s face it who wouldn't like a free holiday?

anyone can set up a Facebook page and called it 'Thompson Holidays' for instance.  I think some pages now have the blue tick against them, you need to look on the 'About' page to see when the page was set up, and the number of followers. All the big brands will have been set up long ago and have plenty of followers.

Happy moneysaving all.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2021 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Official brands/companies will have a blue tick next to them, if not then I consider a scam - took many gullible people out there though commenting on it "yes please" etc
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2021 at 12:52PM
    Options
    If you go onto them you are likely to find that although the ad tells you you’ve got a gift card, once you’ve given them ridiculous amounts of information them you find out its a draw with minuscule chances of winning.
    Or that they need your payment details in order to courier the card to you.
    Or whatever the latest version is.

If it seems too good to be true, and all that.

My local FB page keeps getting people putting up posts about earning a guaranteed £500 a day. This is generally followed by one comment endorsing them before comments are then switched off. I did click through one once out of curiosity and again it’s surveys or prize draws with no guarantee of getting anything.
    They really are best avoided. 

If you want to try to win things using sites which are a bit more legitimate then you could start with the competition forum in here. It’s no longer the best one, but it’ll give you an idea and the people who post are wise to all the scams.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • laurimarsan
    Options
    Hey mums, 
    I see my friends always sharing gift cards giveaways and I’ve never tried it but times are difficult now and I just really want honest answers is this really works? Did anyone ever won anything? 
    Hello, 
    Some accounts are false, but I won a gift card in instagram in the shop aldajoyeros.com
    You must verify if the account is true.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Ah.
    Facebook.
    Instagram.
    No wonder I've not heard of these 'gift cards giveaways'.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback