We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is there a really detailed online method to check NICs?

13

Comments

  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Blimely. That sound really useful!!! Worth bearing this option in mind when answering various questions on the forum!
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,829 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 9 June 2021 at 3:02PM
    I only got 60 pages of double sided printing (120 sides) so I obviously had a less complicated UK employment history than @Marcon as I worked in France from 1997-2012. I know the names of all my employers but still had difficulty recognising them in the codes used.
    There is incredible detail eg each of several occasions when I requested confirmation of my NI number is noted by date yet the address where I lived for 14 years before moving to France is missing.
    It's notable how the amount of NI contributions has grown enormously as a proportion of salary over the years.
    It's going to take me a long time to digest. I was particularly interested to see details of contracted out contributions for a job I had in the 1980s where I got a refund of contributions as I was employed there for less than 5 years. I had chased this up a few years back as I thought that I might have been entitled to a Guaranteed Minimum Pension from them but they claimed that I had retrospectively been reinstated in SERPS for that period with a Contributions Equivalent Premium (CEP) paid to HMRC but I can find no evidence of that in the records I have been sent. 
  • Jonty6262
    Jonty6262 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    nigelbb said:
    I only got 60 pages of double sided printing (120 sides) so I obviously had a less complicated UK employment history than @Marcon as I worked in France from 1997-2012. I know the names of all my employers but still had difficulty recognising them in the codes used.
    There is incredible detail eg each of several occasions when I requested confirmation of my NI number is noted by date yet the address where I lived for 14 years before moving to France is missing.
    It's notable how the amount of NI contributions has grown enormously as a proportion of salary over the years.
    It's going to take me a long time to digest. I was particularly interested to see details of contracted out contributions for a job I had in the 1980s where I got a refund of contributions as I was employed there for less than 5 years. I had chased this up a few years back as I thought that I might have been entitled to a Guaranteed Minimum Pension from them but they claimed that I had retrospectively been reinstated in SERPS for that period with a Contributions Equivalent Premium (CEP) paid to HMRC but I can find no evidence of that in the records I have been sent. 
    How long did it take to arrive? 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Jonty6262 said:
    nigelbb said:
    I only got 60 pages of double sided printing (120 sides) so I obviously had a less complicated UK employment history than @Marcon as I worked in France from 1997-2012. I know the names of all my employers but still had difficulty recognising them in the codes used.
    There is incredible detail eg each of several occasions when I requested confirmation of my NI number is noted by date yet the address where I lived for 14 years before moving to France is missing.
    It's notable how the amount of NI contributions has grown enormously as a proportion of salary over the years.
    It's going to take me a long time to digest. I was particularly interested to see details of contracted out contributions for a job I had in the 1980s where I got a refund of contributions as I was employed there for less than 5 years. I had chased this up a few years back as I thought that I might have been entitled to a Guaranteed Minimum Pension from them but they claimed that I had retrospectively been reinstated in SERPS for that period with a Contributions Equivalent Premium (CEP) paid to HMRC but I can find no evidence of that in the records I have been sent. 
    How long did it take to arrive? 
    Mine took 10 days (which included a bank holiday).
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,829 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Jonty6262 said:
    nigelbb said:
    I only got 60 pages of double sided printing (120 sides) so I obviously had a less complicated UK employment history than @Marcon as I worked in France from 1997-2012. I know the names of all my employers but still had difficulty recognising them in the codes used.
    There is incredible detail eg each of several occasions when I requested confirmation of my NI number is noted by date yet the address where I lived for 14 years before moving to France is missing.
    It's notable how the amount of NI contributions has grown enormously as a proportion of salary over the years.
    It's going to take me a long time to digest. I was particularly interested to see details of contracted out contributions for a job I had in the 1980s where I got a refund of contributions as I was employed there for less than 5 years. I had chased this up a few years back as I thought that I might have been entitled to a Guaranteed Minimum Pension from them but they claimed that I had retrospectively been reinstated in SERPS for that period with a Contributions Equivalent Premium (CEP) paid to HMRC but I can find no evidence of that in the records I have been sent. 
    How long did it take to arrive? 
    About three weeks.
  • Langtang
    Langtang Posts: 442 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I got mine in 2 weeks. Great detail, very interesting read. Thanks once again for the link.
    It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end....
  • ggmf
    ggmf Posts: 824 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    With thanks to Marcon, submitted a request 10/06/21, and received a large envelope today, 144 pages to read through, as I'm retiring early August, I'll save and read through it then!
    2 Separate arrays, 7 x JASolar 380w panels (2.66kWp) south facing, 4 x JASolar 380w panels (1.52kWp) east facing, 11 x Tigo optimizers & cloud, Growatt SPH5000, Growatt 6.5kWh Hybrid battery (Go-live 01/12/21) - Additional reporting via Solar Assistant.
  • JJC1956
    JJC1956 Posts: 328 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I applied for my mother 2 weeks ago, she received a reply a week later telling her that because her ‘request is complex’ they are allowed to extend the reply date by 2 months, she should expect a reply in October.

     I also applied for myself and my missus, we haven’t heard anything, so I assume our applications are not complex and hopefully we will receive our reports shortly. 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 24 July 2021 at 3:32PM
    JJC1956 said:
    I applied for my mother 2 weeks ago, she received a reply a week later telling her that because her ‘request is complex’ they are allowed to extend the reply date by 2 months, she should expect a reply in October.

     I also applied for myself and my missus, we haven’t heard anything, so I assume our applications are not complex and hopefully we will receive our reports shortly. 
    Seems to be the standard response - but the good news is that my reply arrived 10 days later, despite the 'give us 3 months' letter I received. Looking at other posts on this forum, they seem to have had similar experiences - although I guess the timescale might be a bit more now we are in peak holiday time.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.