We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do RBS still allow you to select a sort code?

Options
So I’ve seen the few threads there have been on here about Child & Co and how it was possible to select the magic sort code when opening an account online to get a Child & Co card. 

Is it still possible? I’d like to bag one of those cards for my collection

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 May 2021 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Yes it is still possible as far as I know. It happens close to the end of the application, and you must select 15-80-00. I would not be surprised if this feature was withdrawn soon as RBS are on a big digital banking push.

However whether you get the Child card depends on internal scoring. Some people get it, others get the RBS card.

To add 15-80-00 is the sort code for Child personal customers. There is also one for private customers which you obviously cannot select. But the card and cheque book are the same, just different services between the two.
  • [Deleted User]
    First Post
    edited 29 June 2023 at 1:07AM
    Options
    Yes it is still possible as far as I know. It happens close to the end of the application, and you must select 15-80-00. I would not be surprised if this feature was withdrawn soon as RBS are on a big digital banking push.

However whether you get the Child card depends on internal scoring. Some people get it, others get the RBS card.

To add 15-80-00 is the sort code for Child personal customers. There is also one for private customers which you obviously cannot select. But the card and cheque book are the same, just different services between the two.
    Oh, interesting, thank you! Didn’t know about the internal scoring – so it seems that I might still get an RBS card even if I manage to pick the right sort code. 

Do you know how far along the process do you get to pick a SC? On my phone I got as far as setting an online banking pin without being given the option to do so
  • [Deleted User]
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 May 2021 at 5:25PM
    Options
    ndrw said:

Oh, interesting, thank you! Didn’t know about the internal scoring – so it seems that I might still get an RBS card even if I manage to pick the right sort code. 

Do you know how far along the process do you get to pick a SC? On my phone I got as far as setting an online banking pin without being given the option to do so
    Yes it is not your credit score, some other type of RBS custom score.
    It asks near the end, I did it on a PC not on a mobile. If you get to the end and it doesn't ask you know the feature has been withdrawn. In theory you could open the account in branch instead. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ndrw said:

It asks near the end, I did it on a PC not on a mobile. If you get to the end and it doesn't ask you know the feature has been withdrawn. In theory you could open the account in branch instead. 
    I opened an RBS account when they were offering the switching incentive and it didn't give me the option to pick a branch. It didn't even allocate me the branch close to my home or work address but rather a large city centre branch but I subsequently switched out so not great loss for me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ndrw said:

I opened an RBS account when they were offering the switching incentive and it didn't give me the option to pick a branch. It didn't even allocate me the branch close to my home or work address but rather a large city centre branch but I subsequently switched out so not great loss for me.
    Was this recently?

Be a shame if the option is now gone. 

OP is now deleted????
  • Lightning360
    Lightning360 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Was this only ever an RBS feature or was it the same with NatWest as well?
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Was this only ever an RBS feature or was it the same with NatWest as well?
    I opened an RBS account in March and it asked me to select a branch by directing me to their “find your nearest branch” online link. However it did not insist that I chose the nearest.

I have a joint NatWest account with my wife, but she opened a new individual account at our local branch.
  • gsmh
    gsmh Posts: 560 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2021 at 1:11PM
    Options
    Yes, it is still possible. I received my RBS account details yesterday and when I added the debit card to Apple Pay I got the Child & Co. card image. I haven't received the physical debit card yet.

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone confirm if you can do this as an existing customer, applying for a second account?
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    I'm assuming all this gets you is a different style of plastic card with what some might consider to be bragging rights? As opposed to any real, tangible benefits?

If the former I won't bother, if the latter I might be interested...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure