BT - rude 'customer service'! Yeah right!

For the third day running BT 'customer service' has rung me to notify me of unauthorised access of my internet connection.  Goodness I'm so shocked (not).  I let them drivel through their lengthy script, making the right noises in the right places, confirming/denying nothing but politely listening. When I clarify a couple of things, on all 3 occasions they've HUNG UP! I ask you what sort of customer service are BT offering, how RUDE.  All I said was:
1) No, the miniscule partial part of email addresses you just quoted as mine, AREN'T.
2) If you're going to ask me to 'press a number on my phone' in order to be transferred to BT's technical department to help me sort out this 'problem' the answer is NO.
3) If you're going to suggest any action on my PC, that will give you remote access in order to solve this 'problem, the answer is NO.
4) Do you think I'm stupid, do people really still fall for this scam !!!!!!?

They hang up, what am I doing wrong?  ;)  Time to just disconnect as soon as I recognise that short time delay when I pick up my phone, the one that is bouncing me to an  available agent in the Indian call centre.  Bored with my game now.

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 May 2021 at 9:05AM

They don't know for sure if you're that stupid, but there's a reasonable chance you might be, as enough people will fall for it. 

Given the very low operating costs and the high returns per victim, it's worth calling as many people as they can. It doesn't take many to turn a good profit.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,125
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 May 2021 at 12:04PM
    The number of that type of call I was getting was ridiculous so I started blocking anything and everything on my phone.  Any numbers beginning with 03, 020, 0161 and several others are now blocked on my phone.  If it is something important they will leave a message and I will unblock that single number.  Just checked and there were 14 calls yesterday that got blocked.  Life is so much better without these bottom feeding parasites trying to con me with accident claims, funeral insurance, life insurance, computer problems etc.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,255
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 11 May 2021 at 2:05PM
    I did waste about 20 minutes of their time (and mine)recently, going along with one of these parasites. Call to my mobile phone. Press 1 to speak to an agent.They don't get through on the landline because of call filtering/blocking. It was the common HMRC con. You owe us £xxxx after an audit. An arrest warrant has been issued etc..
    Their script needs changing though. It's written for the U.S.. I'll not list their many errors because it could give them food for thought and script corrections relevant to the U.K..
    I do normally ignore if the number is not in the phonebook in my mobile but just for the heck of it decided to answer.
    Eventually I said that I knew it was a scam and he hung up immediately. Still waiting for the Feds!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,437
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So far I've spent around £3k on i-phones with Amazon, had my Amazon Prime account automatically renewed about 20 times, been threatened with my internet disconnected about 25 times or being compromised about 30 times and have thrice been threatened with arrest because of HMRC not being paid
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2021 at 9:32AM
    I did waste about 20 minutes of their time (and mine)recently, going along with one of these parasites. Call to my mobile phone. Press 1 to speak to an agent.They don't get through on the landline because of call filtering/blocking. It was the common HMRC con. You owe us £xxxx after an audit. An arrest warrant has been issued etc..
    Their script needs changing though. It's written for the U.S.. I'll not list their many errors because it could give them food for thought and script corrections relevant to the U.K..
    I do normally ignore if the number is not in the phonebook in my mobile but just for the heck of it decided to answer.
    Eventually I said that I knew it was a scam and he hung up immediately. Still waiting for the Feds!
    There a YouTube video where an American Police Captain took one of those calls whilst in her office.
    It was quite funny when the scammer got to the "A police officer is on their way to arrest you" stage

Some of them are very funny, some are interesting, some are just unbelievably bad BUT enough people fall for the scam to make it a profitable enterprise for them

***edit -- found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shp3Kd_HGEU
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,125
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I always thought the best one was
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttrzG5F4R3o
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,597
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I like to string them along a bit - a few days back one hung up on me after asking for the Teamviewer password and I spelled it out F - U - C - etc.
    I have heard of people giving them access to a virtual machine to see what they get up to. 
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,839
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I love that Tom Mabe one!
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £45,189.63/b]
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,348
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    The Tom Mabe one was funny, felt a bit sorry for the caller (but not much, given that they're about to try to scam someone out of money).

I used to have BT call blocker, had a huge list of blocked numbers but it still went on & on. Annoyingly, it blocked my GP (they withhold their number) & no matter what I did in the set-up it still kept blocking it, so I dumped the facility.  Strangely, that is when I started to get a lot LESS of these types of calls!

My Amazon Prime is always on the brink of being cancelled, & my internet access cut off. The first BT call just threw me for a fraction of a second as we're upgrading our internet, the new hub has arrived & the appointment for them to come & finish the job is this week - big coincidence! 

Ages ago when "boiler upgrades/loft insulation/solar panels" were popular junk calls, a friend suggested I tell them I live in rented accommodation & they'd need to speak to the landlord.  That actually did the trick.

Just one word of warning, it's increasingly easy to leave credit card details on purchasing sites frequently used, some don't ask if you want to store them, they leave it to you to deselect the storing.  Paypal has an auto save, the option to refuse is so fast you don't get enough seconds to choose NO. A few years ago I got an email from them regarding a $200 US dollar purchase - but it wasn't me. First I queried the transaction, then looked at the Paypal community forum & was advised to check my account to see if someone has  set themselves up as an 'authorised merchant', they had, & claimed a charge for "Facebook Ireland advertising". There were 13 PAGES of posts on the community site, all manner of currencies, none in our own, all foreign. Some people had charges taken a few times. Apparently it was Paypal hacked, not individual users, the charge was removed but I learnt from it! So many more merchants nowadays "make your shopping easier/faster", for me it's ALWAYS no thank you. For the few times I use Paypal I never fail to access the site & remove my card details after I purchase.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,170
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2021 at 2:52PM

They don't know for sure if you're that stupid, but there's a reasonable chance you might be, as enough people will fall for it. 

Given the very low operating costs and the high returns per victim, it's worth calling as many people as they can. It doesn't take many to turn a good profit.
    Yes, apparently their success rate is very low, but it's still worth doing it even if less than 1% fall for for it. It does make me laugh when people say "do they think I'm that stupid" - they don't know you, they're trawling for the tiny tiny minority that really are that stupid, have learning difficulties, or perhaps a pensioner in the early stages of dementia, probably their ideal victim.
    Most these days seem to use recorded messages with "press 5 to be connected", much more efficient for them, it avoids wasting their time with the 99% of people who immediately recognise it as a scam. The only people they end up actually talking to are either those who don't immediately realise it's scam, or those who want to play with them and waste their time. And there's a convenient urban myth that helps the scammers, that you'll be charged premium rate if you do press 5, so it puts people off who know it's a scam but might otherwise want to play with them and waste their time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback