Can someone please help me figure out the possible reason for the increase in water bills?

emily9
emily9 Posts: 7
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
Hello,

I moved in to a new house and received a water bill of 633 pounds for this year with Thames Water.
But I also found out that the previous owners only paid around 450 per year, and I can't figure out what could account for this difference?

The rates for
2020 / 2021 was 0.8759 (fresh water) and 0.5982 (wastewater) and 
2021 / 2022 is 0.9398 (fresh water) and 0.6041 (wastewater) so not much different.

The house is unmetered so we are billed according to a rateable value, which I believe should be fixed?

Thameswater are probably right and there is just something that I'm missing, if anyone could tell me what that is, that would be great!

Thanks 

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    emily9 said:
    Hello,

I moved in to a new house and received a water bill of 633 pounds for this year with Thames Water.
    But I also found out that the previous owners only paid around 450 per year, and I can't figure out what could account for this difference?

The rates for
    2020 / 2021 was 0.8759 (fresh water) and 0.5982 (wastewater) and 
    2021 / 2022 is 0.9398 (fresh water) and 0.6041 (wastewater) so not much different.

The house is unmetered so we are billed according to a rateable value, which I believe should be fixed?

Thameswater are probably right and there is just something that I'm missing, if anyone could tell me what that is, that would be great!

Thanks 

Suggest looking up Thames Water site on what discounts are available.

It looks as though previous owners were discounted?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • emily9
    emily9 Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That's what I thought too, as they said they paid 75.99 DD over the course of 6 months per year, which I thought was an odd monthly figure. But it seems they have no clue if they were on any discounts.

And they can't remember what RV they were but I'm going to assume that this is definitely fixed. 

I'll try the TW website. Thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure