Waitrose introducing charges for home deliveries

Doc_N
Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 7 May 2021 at 7:30AM in Food shopping & groceries
I've heard over the last few days that Waitrose are introducing delivery charges for home deliveries in selected (trial?) stores.
Has anyone come across this in their stores?

Comments

• Yes; £5 fee at my store, irrespective of spend. 
  • Doc_N
    Yes; £5 fee at my store, irrespective of spend. 
    Not just a rumour then - £5 was the figure I heard mentioned for a Suffolk store.  Is yours in that area?
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    According to their website, it confirms delivery charges will be introduced although no price specified as yet. Will be interesting if they also charge priority customers too.

• Doc_N
    Bacman said:
    According to their website, it confirms delivery charges will be introduced although no price specified as yet. Will be interesting if they also charge priority customers too.

That's the end of our Waitrose shopping then. The much higher prices were tolerable when delivery was free, but a £5 charge on top of those higher prices - no thanks.
  • Bacman
    I agree  .
  • Doc_N said:
    Yes; £5 fee at my store, irrespective of spend. 
    Not just a rumour then - £5 was the figure I heard mentioned for a Suffolk store.  Is yours in that area?
    Leeds area. Was surprised as there was no mention of this until I checked out and saw the fee added to the final total. Called WAITROSE to query and confirmed they’d recently introduced.
  • Bacman
    Only logic can be that Waitrose split from Ocado around September last year as I recall, so before that they started online deliveries to get it going before that change, then were giving free delivery to build up a customer base (helped by the pandemic as they had slots), now they have a healthy customer base they are prepared to risk losing some of those customers in order to charge £5 delivery. They reduced the order amount from £60 to £40 a month which was welcome by most however I think there will be a backlash with this £5 charge and they will lose a lot more revenue from customers walking than they expect...
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Tesco is £4.50 for an hourly slot.
    For a 4 hour flexi slot (text confirms 1 hour window on day of delivery) it's £3.
  • williewonder
    williewonder Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I do like Waitrose, they have excellent selections and I do my online shopping there every week but I don't think I'll be happy paying £5 delivery fee on top if their high prices. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback