Forum Home» Techie Stuff

USB 4 way hub - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

USB 4 way hub

28 replies 331 views

Replies

• grumpycrabgrumpycrab Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does the mouse have a tail or is it tail-less. If the latter, is the battery ok?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    4.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    the mouse is wired if that's what you mean, it works OK when plugged into the same slot as the hub but when plugged into the hub it not work.

Hub is going back but now the question is should I get the same kind or a different model?
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the mouse is wired if that's what you mean, it works OK when plugged into the same slot as the hub but when plugged into the hub it not work.

Hub is going back but now the question is should I get the same kind or a different model?

Id get a different model.
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried another port ? or try this https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shut down the computer and actually switch off the mains power to it for about 30 seconds. USB ports can remain powered even when the PC is shut down - if they're in some sort of error state they remain that way.
    Worth a try if the hub hasn't gone back yet, nothing to lose.
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried another port ? or try this https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I have tried it in all 6 existing ports on the PC, same result each time.
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    victor2 said:
    Shut down the computer and actually switch off the mains power to it for about 30 seconds. USB ports can remain powered even when the PC is shut down - if they're in some sort of error state they remain that way.
    Worth a try if the hub hasn't gone back yet, nothing to lose.
    I did that this morning and it did work for about 10 minutes before reverting to charging only.
    I concluded that the hub is not compatible with my PC for some reason and came here for ideas.
  • tallmansixtallmansix Forumite
    582 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭

Bought one of these from Argos, it's a Dynamode and had all good reviews, it worked well for the first day then with no warning the mouse vanished.
    I am wondering what I am doing wrong.
    The blurb on the box says it is good for simultaneous connection of keyboards, mice and usb storage at the same time but here I am with nothing working.

Any ideas?

This is normally a power issue.  USB hubs come in two flavours - powered and unpowered.  You an use a powered hub without its power brick, so if you bought the powered one, plug it in.
    It is a powered one and it is plugged in.

Honestly, I have gone through all the obvious permutation that I can think of before asking on here.
    Is it this one?
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9198841

If so I'm a bit confused when you say you have it plugged into power and your PC because it appears to be one or the other - ie use as a multi charging dock or USB peripherals but not both?

What have you got plugged into it as well as the mouse? You said it carried on charging when the mouse stopped working so what is it charging and could it be drawing more power than the upstream port allows?
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    43.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What sort of USB port on the PC is it plugged into
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Bought one of these from Argos, it's a Dynamode and had all good reviews, it worked well for the first day then with no warning the mouse vanished.
    I am wondering what I am doing wrong.
    The blurb on the box says it is good for simultaneous connection of keyboards, mice and usb storage at the same time but here I am with nothing working.

Any ideas?

This is normally a power issue.  USB hubs come in two flavours - powered and unpowered.  You an use a powered hub without its power brick, so if you bought the powered one, plug it in.
    It is a powered one and it is plugged in.

Honestly, I have gone through all the obvious permutation that I can think of before asking on here.
    Is it this one?
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9198841

If so I'm a bit confused when you say you have it plugged into power and your PC because it appears to be one or the other - ie use as a multi charging dock or USB peripherals but not both?

What have you got plugged into it as well as the mouse? You said it carried on charging when the mouse stopped working so what is it charging and could it be drawing more power than the upstream port allows?
    That's the one and I have tried it both plugged into the mains and not plugged into the mains, neither time did it work as a USB socket, only as a charging socket.
    I had my gps watch plugged in at the same time as the mouse and it was charging but not transferring data, I also had my camera connected and that was for a transfer of data only and it would not work.

Honestly folk, I have tried all the obvious permutations from swapping the hub to the socket where the mouse was to every socket on the PC and every device that the bumf on the box says that can be used with the hub and while it did work for the first day, it no longer works to transfer data, it won't even download anything from a USB storage pen.

I give up, I am obviously not making myself clear when I say that I have tried all the obvious stuff.