We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Houseplant help

Options
13»

Comments

• Mithos
    Mithos Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sky_ said:
    I'm no expert, but my spider plant gets brown tips on it's leaves when I forget to water it--it's on a high shelf because it has lots of trailing baby plants.  They don't like to sit in water for too long, but they also don't like to be to dry for too long. Mine (when I remember) gets watered when I notice that the soil is dry, gets fed occasionally and it usually grows happily and vigorously. 

It could also be that the sun on your windowsill is too hot for it and is burning the leaves.  

I think this too. They don't love hot air and perhaps sitting in the windowsil now things are warming up outside with more sun etc, it's getting too dry / intense? I do still sometimes get brown tips, but you can just nip them off with a pair of scissors and they look good again. 

This care guide https://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/spiderplant is fairly close to what I do in general and my Spiderplants grow well and always seem to be producing new spider pups! I've run out of people to give them too so when they eventually get lose from the mother plant I feel guilt as they sort of wilt up and die.

• irisheyes153
    irisheyes153 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mithos said:
    Sky_ said:
    I'm no expert, but my spider plant gets brown tips on it's leaves when I forget to water it--it's on a high shelf because it has lots of trailing baby plants.  They don't like to sit in water for too long, but they also don't like to be to dry for too long. Mine (when I remember) gets watered when I notice that the soil is dry, gets fed occasionally and it usually grows happily and vigorously. 

It could also be that the sun on your windowsill is too hot for it and is burning the leaves.  

I think this too. They don't love hot air and perhaps sitting in the windowsil now things are warming up outside with more sun etc, it's getting too dry / intense? I do still sometimes get brown tips, but you can just nip them off with a pair of scissors and they look good again. 

This care guide https://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/spiderplant is fairly close to what I do in general and my Spiderplants grow well and always seem to be producing new spider pups! I've run out of people to give them too so when they eventually get lose from the mother plant I feel guilt as they sort of wilt up and die.

thank you so much that is SO helpful! 
    I honestly have no idea what I'm doing with them :D 
    I only bought them cos they looked unloved, I literally drove home saying to them, "Ok, what am I going to call you, and how do I look after you??"
    "Always remember, I'm just the other side of the rainbow, or just north of the north star. Whichever is closest." AJM 17/03/75-16/03/97
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,554 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Like us they don't stay perfect.
    We all get  a little singed round the edges by life.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Black_Cat2
    Black_Cat2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Very true 🐈
    Just my opinion, no offence 🐈
  • irisheyes153
    irisheyes153 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Update: 
    Pablo is now the other side of the window and his leaves are healing. 
    Jethro is on the back window, and he's loving life again! 
    I might treat them to new pots on payday :smiley: 
    All I need to do now is work out wth Tilly is!!! :smiley:
    "Always remember, I'm just the other side of the rainbow, or just north of the north star. Whichever is closest." AJM 17/03/75-16/03/97
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback