New Post Advanced Search

Houseplant help

25 replies 705 views
I have some "pet" houseplants but I'm a beginner in how to look after them. 

Yes, I am a sad plant parent and I have named my plants :smiley:

Jethro, my spider plant, and Pablo my Flamingo plant live quite happily on the living room windowsill. I read somewhere that they don't like wet soil so I keep their soil just damp (almost dry) as per recommendation and I turn the pots so the whole plant gets sunlight, I have no idea if this will help but at least I can say I tried! 

Recently, I have noticed that the ends of their leaves are turning brown. Even a novice like me knows this is not a good sign. I have no idea why. 

I have a drip feed thingame which gives them plant food, and I have read up about the watering and am following the guidelines on line. 

Any idea what I should be doing? Or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

P.S It's best you don't ask why Pablo and Jethro... Percy the Poinsetta and Tilly the tiny white flowered plant (she was a gift and I have no idea what she is - but she's pretty) wouldn't like it! :lol:

"Always remember, I'm just the other side of the rainbow, or just north of the north star. Whichever is closest." AJM 17/03/75-16/03/97

Replies

• edited 2 May at 1:00AM
    Sky_Sky_ Forumite
    527 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 2 May at 1:00AM
    I'm no expert, but my spider plant gets brown tips on it's leaves when I forget to water it--it's on a high shelf because it has lots of trailing baby plants.  They don't like to sit in water for too long, but they also don't like to be to dry for too long. Mine (when I remember) gets watered when I notice that the soil is dry, gets fed occasionally and it usually grows happily and vigorously. 

It could also be that the sun on your windowsill is too hot for it and is burning the leaves.  
    1% MF challenge. £0/1625
  • irisheyes153irisheyes153 Forumite
    30 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Thanks Sky, I might change his location and see if that helps! 

If I'm at all honest, I bought him because he was the last one left and looked lonely.. then I decided he needed a friend and got Pablo. Then someone bought me Percy at Christmas, and Tilly the tiny white flowery plant was in a horrific rabbit shaped plant pot and was an easter present. She's now in a flamingo plant pot and looks happier :smiley:
    "Always remember, I'm just the other side of the rainbow, or just north of the north star. Whichever is closest." AJM 17/03/75-16/03/97
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of having some fun with a garden or house plants. I cu the front hedge into a reclining dragon because it made it a pleasure to trim instead of a chore. 
    Recently a gatestop is a gold frog and the gnome silver.
    The window sill is probably too hot and dry. The brown tips will be from dry air. They do better in bathrooms and kitchens if you cook veggies and such.
    The best trailing plants I've grown were in a marcramie hanging thing. Like bathing in a rainforest :)

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    983 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Misting plants helps (i fill a spray bottle with boiled cooled water) as it increases humidity around the plant. You can also pop them in the same room as you when you're having a shower and then leaving them for a bit after with the door closed to let them enjoy the humidity.

I wait for the top inch of the soil to feel dry (by pushing my finger in) and then watering - giving it a good drench at that point - my monstera probably gets watered about once every 10 days... April - October I use feed (baby bio) and then just water in the winter.

• irisheyes153irisheyes153 Forumite
    30 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    thank you both, I will give this a go too :smile:
  • Black_Cat2Black_Cat2 Forumite
    452 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Loving the picture you've painted of taking your houseplants in the shower with you lol 😹. Good luck 🚿
    Just my opinion, no offence 🐈
  • AlfiebeanAlfiebean Forumite
    8 posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    I would just do some trial and error to try and find out the cause. Underwatering or overwatering are definitely the most common and that has caused brown tips on mine before, overwatering is more harmful underwatering! Maybe cut back on the fertiliser as well to see if that helps? I fertilise mine about every two weeks and water roughly every 10-14 days (mine is not in super bright light so it takes a bit longer for the top soil to dry out). Good luck :) 
  • EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    983 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the picture you've painted of taking your houseplants in the shower with you lol 😹. Good luck 🚿
    In fairness, they're not literally in the shower with me, they're sat on the floor outside the shower - they'd get too wet otherwise...

I'm aiming to steam, rather than drown!
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mother used to put her bigger leaved plants in the shower occasionally [cheese plants, the psiky ones, can't remember what they're called] and give them a blast to clean the leaves and remind them of home. They were monster plants eventually.