Contract change can I ask for redundancy

I have been furloughed since April 2020.  I was then on flexi furlough and work 3 days a week and furloughed for 2.  My employer has changed my contract to say as of 1st July I will be employed 3 days not 5 and no more furlough.  I have signed this a week ago.  Can I ask for redundancy? 

Replies

• Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Probably not successfully given you have already signed and accepted the part time offer.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You can certainly ask. Whether or not you will get it is a different matter. Is your boss asking people to volunteer for redundancy? How long have you worked there?  

If you have signed your new contract then it would appear that you have agreed to the new terms and conditions of your employment.

For advice about any aspect of your employment, you can contact Acas, I've found them very helpful and knowledgeable in the past, although of course, they have to be impartial.  You could do worse than contact them for some advice.

Link here - https://www.acas.org.uk/contact
    Please note that comments are strictly my own opinion, intended to help - never hinder. If they do not help then please ignore as the intention of the forum is to help everyone, if possible. MSE forum rules clearly state "no two people have the same circumstances or experiences and it is up to you to investigate, check and check again before you make any decisions or take any action based on information you glean from our community. Remember, don't rely on what you are reading. Verify it and protect yourself. You are responsible for any action you consequently make." It's always best to verify everything. Inappropriate comments will be reported, as per the Forum rules.
  • edited 28 April 2021 at 3:20PM
    lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 April 2021 at 3:20PM
    Your employer needs someone to work 3 days a week. You have agreed to work 3 days a week. If you left, would your employer replace you? If the answer is yes, then there is no redundancy situation.

This works both ways. An employer cannot make someone redundant and then go and employ someone to take their place (unless there are exceptional circumstances)
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales