How do Bank Holidays form part of my pro rata holiday entitlement?
I've been working for a local supermarket and I'm due to be made redundant. I have been told that I will receive my owed holidays, which I am free to take during my notice period; otherwise, they're happy to pay me for them instead. I want to make sure that the number of days they provide me with is accurate, and that I understand the process of calculation.
After an entire day of researching my specific query, it's left me more puzzled than when I began.
- I work full time: 5 days a week, 7.5 hours per day.
- My contract states that I will receive 25 days holiday per year, plus the Bank Holidays.
- My holiday year begins on the 1st Jan.
My redundancy and holidays:
- I have 4 weeks notice period, beginning on the 1st of May, so the last day of my notice period will be the 28th of May.
- So far, I have taken zero 'normal' holidays (non Bank Holiday) this year.
- Between the 1st Jan and 28th May there are 3 Bank Holidays, which I will have naturally benefited from.
I need to understand the number of 'normal' holiday days (non Bank Holiday) I should be entitled to, given there is no indication of how to calculate this figure within my contract.
- Will 0 Bank Holiday days be deducted from my allowance?
- Will 3 Bank Holiday days be deducted from my allowance? (being the statutory 28 minus my 'normal' 25 days)
- Will 3 (different) Bank Holiday days be deducted from my allowance? (this time being the spent holidays by the 28th of May)
- Will 8 Bank Holiday days be deducted from my allowance? (being the total number of Bank Holidays in a year)
Secondly, what will my pro rata allowance actually be out of:
- 25 (normal holidays)
- 28 (statutory holidays)
- 33 (25 normal days plus all 8 Bank Holidays)
Finally, how many days should I be entitled to, beyond the Bank Holidays?
Even when applying my figures into the .gov website, it states the following: "The employer can include bank and public holidays as part of the statutory entitlement." This tells me that I need to be digging deeper to find my true figure, but it certainly doesn't provide much detail behind the comment.
Thank you all,
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors
- All Categories
- 340K Banking & Borrowing
- 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 448.3K Spending & Discounts
- 231.9K Work, Benefits & Business
- 602.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 171.6K Life & Family
- 245.1K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
- 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards