PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

London 2 bed flat. Over 1 week listed but only 1 enquiry/viewing - please critique!

I felt encouraged by reports of the housing market heating up and listed my flat last week hoping for a good amount of interest. I had 5 local agents come to value it - 485k, 500k, 500k, 550k, 550k. I listed at 500k.

In terms of price, it's the 15th cheapest out of 45 two bed flats within 1/4 mile. However, my flat is in a modern block (built in 2004) and they tend to be less desirable than the majority of flats which are in Victorian terraced properties around here. It's on a busy road, but the flat is towards the back of the building so it's fairly quiet. I do have the benefit of a patio and private allocated parking - both rare around here! The patio is technically a communal area but de facto for private use of this flat.

I'm not happy with the photos, and in fact some of them were so poor that I replaced them with photos I took myself (which are also not great!). I've already arranged for a property photographer to come round next week and take better ones.

I'm going into the second weekend listed with no viewings booked. Clearly something is not right - whether it's the price, photos, description, agent or something else

Any criticism of my listing is very welcomed!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90714022#/

Comments

• I am not au fait with London flats but in my mind the kitchen area is tiny.
    I guess the fridge / freezer is inside the tall cupboard?
    If so it leaves very little storage space.

It does look a bit sterile.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • FirstTimeSolo
    FirstTimeSolo Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 April 2021 at 12:34PM
    This actually a great flat for the price in the area. Long lease, low service charge. However the kitchen has very little counter top space and few cupboards, this would not suit most people (single and families both).Some people do not like ground floor flats as higher floors offer better security, but nothing you can do about it. Is the patio area south facing? Do people walk past it or is it fairly private? Could include some more details about storage space available in the flat - I know why no one includes details of storage, I think it is really important. 
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    musehead said:

It's on a busy road, but the flat is towards the back of the building so it's fairly quiet.

That's part of what I was trying to figure out - so why not make it clear in the blurb?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,292 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The hoover hanging sculpturally on the bedroom wall really makes me think it is short of space. 

£1800 service charge a year? I am unfamiliar with London prices, but it seems high. What do you get for that? 
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,292 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    RAS said:

Set the second room up as a guest bedroom at least.

A good point - for one bedroom the flat has a ridiculous amount of its limited space devoted to bathrooms, so would appeal more to people who would use both bedrooms as bedrooms and overall have a feel of being set up for more people.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • musehead
    musehead Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am not au fait with London flats but in my mind the kitchen area is tiny.
    I guess the fridge / freezer is inside the tall cupboard?
    If so it leaves very little storage space.

It does look a bit sterile.
    Yes you're right about the fridge/freezer. Quite honestly, it's a small kitchen but I think it's comparable to other flats of a similar size. There's only so much kitchen you can fit into a 600 sqft flat!
  • musehead
    This actually a great flat for the price in the area. Long lease, low service charge. However the kitchen has very little counter top space and few cupboards, this would not suit most people (single and families both).Some people do not like ground floor flats as higher floors offer better security, but nothing you can do about it. Is the patio area south facing? Do people walk past it or is it fairly private? Could include some more details about storage space available in the flat - I know why no one includes details of storage, I think it is really important. 
    Yes it's South-West facing so it gets the sun all afternoon/evening. People walk past the other side of the planters, but not very often because it's the back entrance of the building and most people use the front.

I'm not sure what to say about storage space - apart from the cupboard in the hall (which contains the water heater in the lower half) there's no built-in storage, it would just be freestanding cupboards and shelves etc.
  • musehead
    davidmcn said:
    musehead said:

It's on a busy road, but the flat is towards the back of the building so it's fairly quiet.

That's part of what I was trying to figure out - so why not make it clear in the blurb?
    Thanks, yes I agree that point needs to be made more clear!
  • musehead
    The hoover hanging sculpturally on the bedroom wall really makes me think it is short of space. 

£1800 service charge a year? I am unfamiliar with London prices, but it seems high. What do you get for that? 

I will probably remove the hoover for my new photos.

I think the service charge is quite typical for fairly new London flats. It's for general maintenance and running of the building, looking after communal areas, sorting out problems etc. The management company do provide a good service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback