Universal Credit Refused To Pay Housing Costs then Paid me anyway!?

Options
Hi , Uninversal Credit refused to pay my housing costs when I recently moved into a property my father bought  [ he  does,nt live here , its just me] , but dispite not giving a clear reason why it was refused  then started paying me anyway [ £400 a month ] ...no body has told me they have changed their decision , so why start paying me , when they have already said no ?
Thank You

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to ask them because no one here can tell you that. Do be aware that any overpayment will need to be repaid back, even if it's their error.
  • gandalf11
    Options
    The reason I posted on here , was to see if anyone else had experienced the same , before I start contacting Universal Credit...your comment was,nt helpful...Thanks
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2021 at 11:29AM
    Options
    I'm sorry you didn't find my reply helpful but in reality only DWP can answer your question. If you're renting from your father then usually you have to prove that you're father is renting to you on a commercial basis, it's possible that they decided this was the case.

• tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 April 2021 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Poppy's advice was spot on, it may be be an error and if you fail to tell them, the overpayment will accrue.
    Did you get a letter uploaded to your journal when they refused housing?
    Have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration at all?
    Might be worth checking your journal incase you missed anything.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Options
    Were you receiving help with housing costs on UC before you moved?
  • gandalf11
    Options
    No I was,nt , that property was also owned by my father
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you get a letter uploaded to your journal when they refused housing?

Repeating the question Tomtom asked you above. If you had a letter in your journal from a Decision Maker that was an official decision by a Decision Maker. If there was a decision to pay Housing later, then a further letter should have been added to your journal updating the decision.

The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • gandalf11
    Options
    Thanks for the message
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family