Sending Parcels To Portugal

Options
Hi, Hope someone can help.
My Father in law lives in Northern Portugal, he's now in his 70's and lives on his own. So we usually visit once a year and take over a few things he cant get over there such as Yorkshire Teabags. Obviously with the Covid situation we haven't been for well over a year. He's run out of Tea Bags and not keen on the stuff you can buy there so want to send him some. We can do so with DPD Couriers but have a question? 

What we want to send is the big sacks you can in Tesco of 480 Yorkshire Tea Bags they weigh 1.5kg and we would like to send 3 to keep him going. However, when you send something to the EU now you have to supply a "Commodity Code" from the .gov website. When you go on there it gives a Commodity Code for Quote:
"Black Tea (Fermented) and partly Fermented Tea, in immediate packings of a content not exceeding 3kg"
So does that actually mean because each sealed sack with 480 Teabags and weighing 1.5kg each that we can send 3 sacks which totals 4.5kg or only 2 totalling 3kg? 
Only reason I ask is it costs exactly the same to send 2 as it costs to send 3 with DPD so makes sense to send 3 if the Courier Cost is the same.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am sure that Yorkshire teabags will be available in Portugal.
    There are lots of expat suppliers.
    Have you tried Amazon ??
    Either .es or .or ??

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options

Only reason I ask is it costs exactly the same to send 2 as it costs to send 3 with DPD so makes sense to send 3 if the Courier Cost is the same.

That may be the case but the recipient may end up paying three sets of customs clearance fees.  I don't send food items so have no direct experience but there may be specific regulations which would cause complications in acceptance in Portugal or any EU country.
    Amazon don't seem to exist in Portugal but cross border deliveries from other EU countries would be problem free. How do prices and delivery costs compare?

• smokie1010
    Options
    Have you tried Amazon ??
    Either .es or .or ??

Thanks for reply. He lives in the Far North West of Portugal in the Mountains, when we go we have to fly to Porto then its about an hour and half drive North from there, he's about 20 Minutes from the Spanish Border, the bit that overhangs Portugal. Unfortunately its not a tourist area so no ex pats or need to supply for them up there. He's well in to his 70's so the Internet is a Mystery to him, he just about manages to use the Smart Phone we gave him to make phone calls and to use Skype so my wife can talk to him everyday
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried Amazon ??
    Either .es or .or ??

Thanks for reply. He lives in the Far North West of Portugal in the Mountains, when we go we have to fly to Porto then its about an hour and half drive North from there, he's about 20 Minutes from the Spanish Border, the bit that overhangs Portugal. Unfortunately its not a tourist area so no ex pats or need to supply for them up there. He's well in to his 70's so the Internet is a Mystery to him, he just about manages to use the Smart Phone we gave him to make phone calls and to use Skype so my wife can talk to him everyday
    But you could order online for delivery to his Portuguese address. 
    Something needs to be done - I can't imagine living without cups of tea!

• smokie1010
    Options
    martindow said:

That may be the case but the recipient may end up paying three sets of customs clearance fees.  I don't send food items so have no direct experience but there may be specific regulations which would cause complications in acceptance in Portugal or any EU country.
    Amazon don't seem to exist in Portugal but cross border deliveries from other EU countries would be problem free. How do prices and delivery costs compare?

Thanks for the reply. There's no customs fees etc to pay as you can send something as a Gift up to £39, over that it would attract Import VAT and it would only attract Customs duty over £135. I checked the link you sent, thanks, very expensive on there, just worked out the Tea Bags on there are £28.95 per KG but if we send 3 which equals 4.5kg then including Courier cost plus Tea Bags its £10.33 per kg, so nearly 3 times the price buying them over there
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you order it and get it sent to him direct?

• smokie1010
    Options
    sheramber said:

I will look in to that thanks, though they probably just do the same as I would be doing sending it by Courier
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Options
    If you have access to a Booker wholesalers Yorkshire teabags are very cheap in there.
    Around £12.50 for 600 if I remember correctly

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sheramber said:

I will look in to that thanks, though they probably just do the same as I would be doing sending it by Courier
    if you order from Amzon eu then there is no problem with customs as it is sending within the  EU.
  • strawberries1
    strawberries1 Posts: 873 Forumite
    Options
    I use Transglobal Express for Philippines, India and USA.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback