Travel Trolley Air Canada Refund ISSUE

Options
Hi - we had a flight booked (non-refundable tickets) thought Travel Trolley with Air Canada to Canada in June last year, due Covid/lockdown we were unable to travel, however our flight still went, it wasn't cancelled.  Travel Trolley gave us the option of a voucher but we had to used the vouchers and returned home by 31st Dec 2021.  At this time of accepting the vouchers they were no other options available and given that it was a non refundable ticket we took this option.

This week Air Canada and the Canadian Government struck a deal meaning that everyone that has an impacted flight due to Covid are due a full refund.  I have spoken to Travel Trolley and they are refusing to issue us with a full refund as we took the voucher option.  

My parents were also booked on the same flight, but they booked with Dial a Flight, they also took the voucher option and they had 24 months in which to have used the vouchers by, they today have been issued with a full cash refund.

Does anyone know what my options are, are Travel Trolley correct, any advice is gratefully received we are going round in circles!

I have raised several escalations with them to have no call back.

Comments

• Upsidedownandaround
    Options
    it sounds like you have no options.

If your flight went and you booked non-refundable then a voucher would have been a goodwill voucher and you will be subject to the terms of it. One of the drawback of using third parties.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, sadly you are at the mercy of Travel Trolley as you have the voucher.  Unless they agree to refund, All you can hope for is an extension if you can’t travel this year.   

It is great that your parents got a refund but there was no obligation to do so as the flights went ahead.  

You could try your insurance if you have appropriate cover? It’s kind of skewered by fact you accepted a voucher but no harm in trying. Good luck 
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 April 2021 at 7:04AM
    Options
    This week Air Canada and the Canadian Government struck a deal meaning that everyone that has an impacted flight due to Covid are due a full refund”

I think you will find that is for those who had flights cancelled by Air Canada, not everyone that was impacted by Covid in some way or other.

Unlike U.K./European airlines who gave refunds (eventually) for a cancelled flight, in Canada they initially had approved that a credit voucher would suffice. More recently the Canadian Government has said that if Canadian airlines want public money to support then they must refund in cash those people who had cancelled flights. Hence the recent news and change.

I don’t think this recent change impacts or helps your situation.  The flight credit was a gesture made after you did not or could not travel following the purchase of a non refundable ticket on a flight that operated.

I would check the validity of the voucher again. Perhaps the expiry date will be extended, or it is a case of use (book) by a certain date, not travel and return by a certain date.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback