Has anyone used Life Ledger death notification service?

I am having to cope with the death of both my own Mother just before Christmas and Mother-in-law last week, and I am struggling with the paperwork, especially notifying so many different companies.
I have come across Life Ledger, https://lifeledger.com/register-a-death/ a death notification service but I have not heard of it before, so want to check that it is legitimate before I sign up to use it as it asks for lots of information to verity your identify which could of course be used for fraud.

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When you register the death they should give you details of the 'Tell us Once' service which is the free and official way to go.....
  • Wonder what they charge for the privilege?

The guy that runs it Tremayne Carew Pole is the son of a Baron, degree in Architecture.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • RetSol
    RetSol Posts: 519
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I clicked on the link you gave, @Ruby-Tuesday.  I don't like the fact that it is not clear that they charge for the service, let alone what the charges are.  That makes me suspicious.

Two significant deaths in a short period is a lot for you to cope with emotionally and practically.  You may be feeling overwhelmed at the moment. 

I suggest that you take your time and try to prioritise the tasks.  Is there any urgency?  What's the worst thing that can happen if there is a bit of delay? 

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Forumite
    edited 16 April 2021 at 4:55PM
    I have come across Life Ledger, https://lifeledger.com/register-a-death/ a death notification service

It doesn't sound as if they do any of the work - you have to fill in all the information - why pay them when that's what you would be doing anyway?

As RetSol said - there's no need to rush.  Very little has to be done in a hurry.  Take your time and work through systematically at your own pace.

• Thank you, for some reason I thought that it was a free service, which made me suspicious, I guess that I will just have to slowly work my way through notifying everyone. The Tellusonce service looks very useful for central and local government departments, thank you. I was also wondering if there is a way to stop all the mail order catalogues too? 
    I am feeling totally overwhelmed by it all but then I think of the saying, "How do you eat an elephant?" Reply: "One bite at a time" so that it what I will do, bit by bit.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My condolences Ruby, my mother died earlier this year and I used tell us once and had no problems with it.  I have a standard letter on my computer which I print off and add it to any correspondence I received from catalogues requesting that they take my mothers details off their data bases.  
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Forumite
    I was also wondering if there is a way to stop all the mail order catalogues too? 

Most companies are reasonable although there may be a couple arrive before they can be stopped because they work so far ahead that the catalogues are prepared and addressed months in advance. 
    Other companies are hopeless - the only way I stopped one was by returning the catalogue after writing on the envelope in thick black marker pen "Mr M***** is dead!!!!" 
  • RetSol
    RetSol Posts: 519
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I was also wondering if there is a way to stop all the mail order catalogues too? 

Unless they were arriving at my house, I don't think that I would bother. 

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Forumite
    Mailing Preference Service - I believe they have a Tell Us Once equivalent for bereavement.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure