Old Garden Wall Ideas

Options
Danny30
Danny30 Posts: 433 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi, I have a solid wall that doesn't look particularly nice. It could do with repointing and stripping the paint off but don't want to get into that at the moment.

I am looking for advice /opinions on how to improve the wall visually without spending much.
I would have liked to just repaint but the quality of the bricks and mortar is not good.

I was thinking of maybe installing a bamboo screen. If I do that could I just screw it directly into the wall without using a wood batten against the wall? 

I can't think of any other options apart from the above but if there are any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A bamboo screen would work, but you'd need to put a batten across to hold it against the wall - Wall->Bamboo->Batten.
    Alternatives - Cut a cheap fence panel down to fit between the piers and screw to the wall.
    Wire brush and get as much of the loose stuff (paint, etc) off as possible. Paint some RendaGrip on, and follow it with a skim of render (Tarmac OneCoat would do). Cheap alternative to RendaGrip would be some PVA or SBR with some sand mixed in. PVA probably wouldn't last too long as it isn't suitable for exterior use.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Danny30
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    A bamboo screen would work, but you'd need to put a batten across to hold it against the wall - Wall->Bamboo->Batten.
    Alternatives - Cut a cheap fence panel down to fit between the piers and screw to the wall.
    Wire brush and get as much of the loose stuff (paint, etc) off as possible. Paint some RendaGrip on, and follow it with a skim of render (Tarmac OneCoat would do). Cheap alternative to RendaGrip would be some PVA or SBR with some sand mixed in. PVA probably wouldn't last too long as it isn't suitable for exterior use.
    Thank you Freebea. Out of curiosity why does the bamboo need to have a batten and cannot be directly on the wall?

Would it be easier to render the wall and paint or is it a difficult skill to try as a DIY project? 
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Danny30 said:

Would it be easier to render the wall and paint or is it a difficult skill to try as a DIY project? 
    Depends on how handy you are, and the type of finish you want. Having those piers to go round makes it a bit more tricky.
    Is it not possible to tidy the wall up and paint it? 

• Danny30
    Options
    stuart45 said:
    Danny30 said:

Depends on how handy you are, and the type of finish you want. Having those piers to go round makes it a bit more tricky.
    Is it not possible to tidy the wall up and paint it? 

The problem is that the bricks are not even and some are damaged as well as the mortar not looking very neat. I would have much preferred to clean and paint it if I could.

I was hoping as an alternative to just put the bamboo on without the wood battens but looks like I need to use the battens.

The ideal was to render but I don't trust myself to do it well and it will cost a lot for the materials so don't want to take the risk. 
  • stuart45
    Options
    If you google German Smear, you will find a distressed look for brickwork, a bit like Shabby chic for kitchen furniture. 
    People pay a lot of money for this look on Red brickwork. Burn a bit more of the white paint off and you will have it for free.
  • FreeBear
    Options
    Danny30 said:
    FreeBear said:
    Thank you Freebear. Out of curiosity why does the bamboo need to have a batten and cannot be directly on the wall?

The bamboo screens I've seen are generally made from pretty thin strips, so wouldn't have anything to screw through.
    Rendering isn't particularly difficult nor expensive. A bag of render will cost about £8 from somewhere like B&Q. One bag should be enough to do the bit between two piers, so two bags for both sections. A cheap plasterer's trowel and a big bucket will also be needed. A short vid on rendering a small project - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTir3L_wcg

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Danny30
    Options
    Thank you @freebear. He makes it look very easy. Would I need the metal strips on my wall edges? 
  • Danny30
    Options
    stuart45 said:
    If you google German Smear, you will find a distressed look for brickwork, a bit like Shabby chic for kitchen furniture. 
    People pay a lot of money for this look on Red brickwork. Burn a bit more of the white paint off and you will have it for free.
    Hi Stuart, just looked at at it and now. I don't Kind it out but my wife is not so keen. She prefers everything modern and grey 🙂
  • stuart45
    Options

You can use angle beads for the corners, or do it the old way using straight edges as shown below. 

phpif6lmyam-jpg.74527 (760×570) (contractortalk.com)

phpxnhzqeam-jpg.74525 (760×570) (contractortalk.com)

• FreeBear
    Options
    Danny30 said:  Would I need the metal strips on my wall edges? 
    If you were going to do the piers, then yes. Use corner beads.
    Don't use the metal ones - They rust and start to look nasty. Plastic beads are best and easier to work with.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback