We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Beware of Sainsbury’s Short Date Policy

Options
2»

Comments

• pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sainsburys seem to recently have started removing dates from the fresh fruits and vegetables - for example most of the bagged apples in store were dated 'eat within 7 days'

stopped buying those from sainsburys now
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pbartlett said:
    Sainsburys seem to recently have started removing dates from the fresh fruits and vegetables - for example most of the bagged apples in store were dated 'eat within 7 days'

stopped buying those from sainsburys now
    Tesco did this almost three years ago Tesco removes 'best before' dates on some fruit and veg - BBC News

You should be able to tell when an apple is bad.
    For the supermarket staff they have week codes on them so they know when to yellow sticker if needed. 
  • pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    anybody know what the sainsbury week codes look like?
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m not sure how Sainsbury works as it isn’t availability here, but with Tesco I have the ability to make a note on each individual item. For example if I’m ordering pork chops I could state that I require a use by date - no sooner than xxx. (Within reason) 
    If you don’t do this the picker has no knowledge if you are planning to eat the item on the day of delivery or a week later, or we’re going to freeze it anyway. 
    I think it is good if supermarkets are being more proactive on food waste. I’d doesn’t take too much effort on the customer to be more specific if it matters so much to them. 
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jillyr said:
    Tesco’s is warm you about short dated products with a much longer life and highlight in their website when they naturally have a short life , so no Sainsbury’s is the worst policy I’ve come across - let’s face it how could it be worse than 1 day?
    When we ordered fish from from Tesco, it was the day we took delivery. No warning, but did get a refund.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SPOWER said:
    Hi.  You could insert name of any supermarket there to be honest.  I worked in a J Sainsbury when they first brought out local.  Before that you had only seen central and the supermarkets.  I'm not a huge fan as I went to the one in the west end and the security guard followed me around and made me feel uneasy.   I left thinking I must look a certain way to cause him to do that.  It spoilt my afternoon.  That was earlier this week.  The thing about dates, I don't go by these too much.  I ate a lasagne that was 2 days out of date.  It was fine.  Also I googled it, yoghurt can ben eaten up to 1 month after date as it's sour cream or something.
    SPOWER said:
    Hi.  You could insert name of any supermarket there to be honest.  I worked in a J Sainsbury when they first brought out local.  Before that you had only seen central and the supermarkets.  I'm not a huge fan as I went to the one in the west end and the security guard followed me around and made me feel uneasy.   I left thinking I must look a certain way to cause him to do that.  It spoilt my afternoon.  That was earlier this week.  The thing about dates, I don't go by these too much.  I ate a lasagne that was 2 days out of date.  It was fine.  Also I googled it, yoghurt can ben eaten up to 1 month after date as it's sour cream or something.
    We buy Yeo Valley full fat yoghurt.  If the inner seal has not been broken then the yoghurt stays perfectly edible a long time after the dates.  We’ve used it 6 weeks after and it was perfectly fine.  Tasted ok and no after effects.

I’m convinced most products have an unnecessarily short date on them. 
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jillyr said:
    I do realise dates, especially  before, are a bit arbitrary but it would actually be illegal for them to sell out of date food so why should they get away with piling it into online shoppers’ ‘trolleys’ when there is no reasonable hope of them eattit when it’s in date??
    Not strictly true.
    Best Before - Not illegal
    Use By: - Illegal

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills