Beware of Sainsbury’s Short Date Policy

Options
All beware of Sainsbury’s AWFUL short life policy re delivery. If something does not go out of date by the day after delivery it will NOT be notified to you as short dated.  You can end up with a lot of very short date ( like two day) food with no way of getting a refund.  Apparently it’s to help with their food waste - they palm it off onto the customers. It’s a disgusting policy - as if you’d do you weekly shop in store and buy food that goes out of date so quickly!!!!

Comments

• SPOWER
    SPOWER Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi.  You could insert name of any supermarket there to be honest.  I worked in a J Sainsbury when they first brought out local.  Before that you had only seen central and the supermarkets.  I'm not a huge fan as I went to the one in the west end and the security guard followed me around and made me feel uneasy.   I left thinking I must look a certain way to cause him to do that.  It spoilt my afternoon.  That was earlier this week.  The thing about dates, I don't go by these too much.  I ate a lasagne that was 2 days out of date.  It was fine.  Also I googled it, yoghurt can ben eaten up to 1 month after date as it's sour cream or something.
  • jillyr
    jillyr Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesco’s is warm you about short dated products with a much longer life and highlight in their website when they naturally have a short life , so no Sainsbury’s is the worst policy I’ve come across - let’s face it how could it be worse than 1 day?
  • jillyr
    jillyr Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I do realise dates, especially  before, are a bit arbitrary but it would actually be illegal for them to sell out of date food so why should they get away with piling it into online shoppers’ ‘trolleys’ when there is no reasonable hope of them eattit when it’s in date??
  • lemondrops69
    Options
    SPOWER said:
    Asda is just Asda, not with an S added.  I cant be doing with the S added at everything, Superdrug, Asda, Tesco WH Smith.  No S.  Itr's not regional as I watch come dine with me.  
    Thanks SPOWERS, very informative 
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Options
    >> "You could insert name of any supermarket there to be honest."

Not so.  Tesco list any short-dated item on the receipt and you can hand it back for a refund.  Waitrose list anything that is short dated and give it to you for free.

We've tried a number of the supermarkets over the last year.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    jillyr said:
    I do realise dates, especially  before, are a bit arbitrary but it would actually be illegal for them to sell out of date food so why should they get away with piling it into online shoppers’ ‘trolleys’ when there is no reasonable hope of them eattit when it’s in date??
    How can they possibly know if it is going to be eaten? You might have 6 hungry teens in the house or put everything straight in the freezer for all they know.
    I would understand if they delivered at 11pm and the stuff went out of date that day, but 2 days is not bad, most fruit & veg and dairy lasts way beyond, I used a cabbage in March that I bought at Christmas and it was fine, and meat can be frozen, I opened a greek yogurt a month out of date the other day, it was fine.
    If the pick/packs teams are forced to give the longest dated stock to the delivery customers the shorter dated stuff will be left for those who go to the effort of travelling to the store, is that fairer?
  • Batesy1976
    Batesy1976 Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jillyr said:
    All beware of Sainsbury’s AWFUL short life policy re delivery. If something does not go out of date by the day after delivery it will NOT be notified to you as short dated.  You can end up with a lot of very short date ( like two day) food with no way of getting a refund.  Apparently it’s to help with their food waste - they palm it off onto the customers. It’s a disgusting policy - as if you’d do you weekly shop in store and buy food that goes out of date so quickly!!!!
    You mean sell it to their customers?

If the people who shop in-store are avoiding the short date stuff, and the online customers are throwing a wobbly over getting it, and they want to (and have societal pressure to) minimise their food wastage, what do you expect them to do with it?  Even if they give it away (and I wouldn't be surprised if charities turn down food past its use-by date if it's being given to humans) then you'd probably be upset at the price increase required to cover the costs of giving away/binning loads of perfectly good food too.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    From my experience, anyway, Waitrose are very good

If the item is within one day of use by date you get it free - and the option to return it if you don't want it

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sometimes short date is all that is available in store.

• angela110660
    Options
    When my shop from Sains arrived last Thursday  there was short date item for next day and one item dated 7th but delivered on 8th. I rang freephone number and they asked for my order number and could see I had not been alerted. Very apologetic and gave me an ecoupon to the value on my account for next shop. Was happy at that as more concerned that the store ensure staff pick items in date at least.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback