We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vanquis card have offered a limit increase(via Email),is it an instant decision?(after income/bills)

Options
2»

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,130 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 April 2021 at 10:42AM
    Options
    A legitimate company would NEVER ask you to confirm personal details by email, information here -

Types of Fraud - Vanquis Customers
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jay1804
    jay1804 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 April 2021 at 10:53AM
    Options
    I do agree it does look sketchy however when I received one last year I had 4 options: 

- App
    - Website (personalised link)
    - Call
    - Text (they still send you a personalised link)

When i received  it all i had to provide is:

- Monthly income after tax
    - How much to pay towards rent or mortgage
    - Household bills and subscriptions
    - Other costs, travel, food, clothes and childcare

Hardly anything personal like passwords, pins, memorable information.

Below is the time frame it took them to increase mine.

20 Dec 19 email received (respond by 10th January 20)
    20 Dec 19 text received saying "Thanks for answering our questions. We'd like to apply your credit limit increase by 23rd January 2020 provided your account is being managed well. Make sure to stay within your current limit and make any payments due on time. We'll be in contact soon."
    20th Jan 2020 "Great news - we're delighted to confirm your credit limit is going to be increased! Your account will be updated in the next 2 working days with your new limit of £XXXX."

• Danny_G
    Danny_G Posts: 717 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jay1804 said:
    I do agree it does look sketchy however when I received one last year I had 4 options: 

- App
    - Website (personalised link)
    - Call
    - Text (they still send you a personalised link)

When i received  it all i had to provide is:

- Monthly income after tax
    - How much to pay towards rent or mortgage
    - Household bills and subscriptions
    - Other costs, travel, food, clothes and childcare

Hardly anything personal like passwords, pins, memorable information.

Below is the time frame it took them to increase mine.

20 Dec 19 email received (respond by 10th January 20)
    20 Dec 19 text received saying "Thanks for answering our questions. We'd like to apply your credit limit increase by 23rd January 2020 provided your account is being managed well. Make sure to stay within your current limit and make any payments due on time. We'll be in contact soon."
    20th Jan 2020 "Great news - we're delighted to confirm your credit limit is going to be increased! Your account will be updated in the next 2 working days with your new limit of £XXXX."

That is the exact same email they sent, and information they are asking for.

and I guess that means that this email is legit, right ?

What was your current limit before they increased it, and what was your new limit which they increased it to?

No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Danny_G said:
    That is the exact same  information they are asking for.

and I guess that means that this email is legit, right ?

Not really.

The information the banks / credit card companies is all rather generic and the same between one lender and the next.  Not difficult for a scammer to guess at the questions.

If I was going to try to scam someone, I would do this:
    1. Find out the types of information a lender asks
    2. Send e-mail to get that information from many people
    3. Use the information (other people's information) to get money
    Don't be fooled by the fact that they "know" you have a Vanquis card.  A fraudster does not "know" but just sends out randomly and some of the people receiving the "offer" will have the card in the brand they are using.

Once the fraudster gets that information, they can try all sorts of lenders to  obtain money with it - not just the one they put as the target brand.

It seems quite easy for the OP to contact Vanquis using the customer contact number they have already (likely printed om the back of the card) and verify whether there is or is not an offer.  

I, and others, have mentioned the risk of unsolicited links via e-mail.  I would much rather be warning now, even risk that the OP does not get the credit card limit increase, than see the OP suffer a loss to a scammer / fraudster and be back here trying to help the OP when the thread title is "I clicked a link from my credit card, now I've lost money and had accounts closed - HELP!"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure