We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Avro

I moved in my house 5 weeks ago and have not received any energy bills from the supplier who is avro. I tried ringing them to set the account up but they only answering emergency calls. I have emailed them few days back and have a ticket number and hopefully they should respond soon.
I wasn’t aware when I moved in who was the current energy supplier so I tried to get octopus to transfer my account. I received email from octopus that avro has objected the transfer and was told to contact them. I rang octopus to cancel the transfer until I have sorted the account with avro.
i was told on the phone that they will cancel the transfer but everyday I’m getting email that avro has objected to the transfer.
i have cancelled my direct debit set up when I asked Octopus to transfer my account. Will I get black listed if I cancel my direct debit as the first payment is taken before they start the energy supply?

Comments

• Swoosh84
    Swoosh84 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Do you have meter readings from when you first moved into the property? Its likley Avro objected as there is a debt on the account from the previous owner.

Just try calling again, don't worry about the emergency part...

J
  • Slips36
    Slips36 Posts: 267 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Swoosh84 said:
    Do you have meter readings from when you first moved into the property? Its likley Avro objected as there is a debt on the account from the previous owner.

Just try calling again, don't worry about the emergency part...

J
    Yes I have the readings but there has been no letters from avro. I doubt the previous owner left it unpaid has they were tenants and the house was empty for 4 months until I moved in.
    surely if there was any debt avro would have chased the previous owners. 
  • Contact Avro on twitter if you can, the persons there seem to be more responsive. You will need an account number normally but they should be able to help
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 117,839 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
     I received email from octopus that avro has objected the transfer and was told to contact them. 

Probably because the name of the registered account holder differed and they hadn't yet been told the previous occupant has moved.

Will I get black listed if I cancel my direct debit as the first payment is taken before they start the energy supply?

No.  You haven't built up a debt yet.   However, there is probably no need to cancel the direct debit yet the account is not yet active with Octopus.

surely if there was any debt avro would have chased the previous owners

Don't assume the previous occupants told them.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • After nearly 5 years Avro is trying to annoy me. I have  spreadsheet with all 1st of month readings for 10 years and use this to calculate average usage. 5 years ago I divorced menopausal wife (cold flush & turn heating to max not just a bit, then hot flush open window but leave heating on max then leave room & go to next room & repeat). So for a couple of year bill estimates reduced. Suddenly 2 years ago I had to board snowflake granddaughter & millennial partner & menagerie who had sole use of 4 rooms & bathroom and being fairly inactive wanted them all @ 25C. So my account ended up being -£117 on renewal. The new DD was quite high to include this & the greatly increased use. Last summer they moved on & at renewal I was +£126 but they calculated new DD based on last years use BUT did not include the starting credit. Thus at next renewal I forecast that I'll be £270+ in credit. Wrote to Avro asking for a change of DD or refund or a one-off £0 DD. Reply was that it's not possible as they want to ensure that it stays in credit for winter. By Nov 1 I'll around £400 in credit which is nearly half of my yearly cost.            

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    This is the LPG and Oil section .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 346.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 238.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 613.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.7K Life & Family
  • 251.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.