Big credit score drop after CCJ removed

Options
Hi all,

So a little background...

For the first time in my life (aside from a mobile phone) I got credit 7 years ago, this time it was for a car (to accommodate a new baby in the family... wow, that's 3 of them now). 2 days after the typical 1 years warranty the car had a major malfunction and was deemed to be for the scrap pile. I disputed the issue with the car company and they asked if I wanted to return the vehicle at a cost of £250 (towing fee), to which I agreed. They collected the car and then sent me a bill for the damaged car (this was not mentioned over the phone). Another phone call debate with them later and I they said I was responsible for the outstanding balance due to the car being out of warranty (we're talking £7500 here), so I said, fair enough, give me the car back, but they had already sent it to auction so I was out of luck. I refused to pay them for something that I no longer owned so they took me to court where I was issued a CCJ. talk about bad luck.

6 years later, the CCJ has now been removed from my account. However, I have gone from a (Clear Score) of 327 (down 53 points) to 274 overnight as the CCJ was removed.

I have been hoping to get another car as my health has deteriorated and I now struggle to walk/cycle. So I suppose what I am asking is two fold.

1. Why did my score drop after the CCJ was removed. The only other credit on my account is for a Mobile phone with only 5 missed payments  (due to unemployment) (technically just late payments as they where fulfilled at a later date) during Oct 2019 to Jan 2020.

2. Will this low score cause issues in getting finance for another car?

Thanks for taking the time to look, read and reply.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    1. Credit scores rise and fall with any change.

2. No.

The credit score you see is for your benefit, all lenders have their own internal algorithm methods to 'score' an application based on their own criteria.

Please read the pinned post as it explains it all.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As above.  Nothing to add, except to suggest this would perhaps be an excellent "pinned" post - as is stated on here time and again, the fictitious score will fall in reaction to any change, good or bad.  If anyone doubts this, the OPs post proves it very nicely - removal of a CCJ is a positive change, yet still the score drops.  QED.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2021 at 6:28PM
    Options
    When i had a CCJ removed after a set aside - my score dropped too. That happens a lot. As above - read up the fact that credit scores are just a vague indicator to you - and are not seen by anyone else.

If you have multiple credit accounts that have been kept in good order for several years with no recent black marks - and payments made on time (and more than the minimum payment) there's a fair chance you'll be able to achieve what you want to do. (But as always we are all different - and your own circumstances will no doubt be considered by any potential lender).

Give it a month - and it'll probably go back up a bit - then a bit more the next month - and might take a while to go back to where it was. But it doesn't matter. It's the history you have that matters.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • dranzer01
    dranzer01 Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When i had a CCJ removed after a set aside - my score dropped too. That happens a lot. As above - read up the fact that credit scores are just a vague indicator to you - and are not seen by anyone else.

If you have multiple credit accounts that have been kept in good order for several years with no recent black marks - and payments made on time (and more than the minimum payment) there's a fair chance you'll be able to achieve what you want to do. (But as always we are all different - and your own circumstances will no doubt be considered by any potential lender).

Give it a month - and it'll probably go back up a bit - then a bit more the next month - and might take a while to go back to where it was. But it doesn't matter. It's the history you have that matters.
    How did you get your ccj set aside?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Options
    dranzer01 said:

That question isn't relevant here as the info isn't from the OP and the comment doesn't even relate to the OP's question. It's also really none of our business.

If you need info about how to get a CCJ set aside, you could contact Citizens Advice, or StepChange?
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Options
    Credit scores do go down and then up again every time something happens in your financial life. Sometimes I think they move even if you sneeze. Yours will go up again and as we all know, nobody else can see that score. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    Options
    dranzer01 said:

I paid the fee - stood in front of the judge - gave her the facts pertinent to my case - and she agreed.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback