Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Trusted online store for pet pharmaceuticals?

in Pets & pet care
5 replies 106 views
Hi,
I'm looking for somewhere to buy Bravecto (fleas) and Profender (worms) for my cat. I usually buy from the vet but their prices are pretty steep!
Can anyone recommend a trusted online retailer (that sells the genuine products)

Thanks!

Replies

• KxMxKxMx Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think both of those require a prescription, Vets do charge for that and sometimes that means it doesn't work out cheaper online.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Prescription prices were zero for a time, to let the online companies get a start , but then when reintroduced my vets charged a fair £5 . However this rose quickly and the last price I heard quoted to a client was £20 for the first and then a slightly lower fee for repeats. This seems to be a move to take back the online trade.

When Teddy my last dog needed ongoing meds, I used Animed Direct, which is run by a vet. He/she is probably on site as the , telephone operator went to ask a question for me.

Years ago, a friend on a Scottish island , said she saved 25% on her vet charges for the drug and didn't need to pay postage for delivery or to send a prescription, as they accept an emailed photo of the original script.
  • NaomimNaomim Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My vet charges £12 for a prescription then I buy my dogs heart meds from petdrugsonline.  Saves me a small fortune. 
    Credit Cards
    NOV 2019 £33,220.42
    March 2022 £23,150.56

Tilly Tidy 2022 Total YTD £84.28
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • pioneer31pioneer31 Forumite
    330 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I pay £54 for a packet of Profender (2 pipettes) and Bravecto (1 pipette) which I think is on the steep side. I know vets have to cover overheads but surely it is fairer to add those to the actual apppintments rather than repeat prescriptions? There is no work involved in selling me the same thing off the counter, repeatedly.
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Vets have much higher overheads and lesser buying power than the online pet drug websites.