Adding batteries to existing solar system

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Coastalwatch
    Options
    Just had a quote from a local company for a Givenergy 8.2kw, 3kw AC inverter, for £4.5k, so probably going to go for it.  Doesn't seem to bad, only lead time is looking like May.

Just for information the cost of the parts required, including VAT is circa £3.5k leaving about £1k for the actual installation itself.

East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,007 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    I have tried to read and absorb if anyone can provide a little advice id appreciate. 

we have an 8 panel 4kw system installed for 9 years our inverter has just died. ( I'm told on some forums a possible dry solder joint)   

married and semi retired I'm over 60 no benefits and no plans to move. 

as we need to probably replace the inverter ( quoted £700 wish )  now seems to be a good time to add batteries.  

do we just replace inverter,   like for like.      upgrade to one that can charge battery system,      consider adding panels to give a better % charge and the possible 5%vat rate. 

Bear in mind that AC batteries are treated as potential generators. You, or your installer, will need to submit a detailed proposal to your DNO. Your DNO will then look at the total potential export from your PV solar plus battery and it could impose an export limitation to protect the local Grid infrastructure. DNOs are not known for their quick decision making. 
    Hmm - I already have PV (3.6) and V2G unit (not sure of max export) so it sounds like it is unlikely I would be allowed to add batteries - possibly back to plan B (get a bigger battery leaf)
    I think....
  • Pulpdiction
    Options
    Just had a quote from a local company for a Givenergy 8.2kw, 3kw AC inverter, for £4.5k, so probably going to go for it.  Doesn't seem to bad, only lead time is looking like May.

Just for information the cost of the parts required, including VAT is circa £3.5k leaving about £1k for the actual installation itself.

Thanks, appreciate that, but they are also doing all the paperwork etc and the applications, and VAT at 20% applies.  So as long as I get a reliable service I'm ok with that I think.
  • Boffinboy24
    Options
    Curious if anyone has had any recent quotes, especially for the 9.5kWh GivEnergy? First one I’ve had was £6,700 (20% VAT), which seems high. 
  • 94JDH
    94JDH Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 April 2022 at 10:47PM
    Options
    I've placed an order for installation of  7.2kW solar (18 panels) , two gen2 hybrid inverters and two 9.5kW batteries for 14k ( includes 18 Tigo optimisers),

Curious if anyone has had any recent quotes, especially for the 9.5kWh GivEnergy? First one I’ve had was £6,700 (20% VAT), which seems high. 

18 x 390W (7.02kW) East/West split over two flat roof areas at 10 degrees inclination.
  • Boffinboy24
    Options
    94JDH said:
    I've placed an order for installation of  7.2kW solar (18 panels) , two gen2 hybrid inverters and two 9.5kW batteries for 14k ( includes 18 Tigo optimisers),

Thank you. Don’t suppose you have a breakdown as to how much they apportioned to batteries? The more quotes I see on here I wonder why pricing for my solar was so high! I tried 3 installers and all started at roughly £1.5/kWp - in the end I managed to get £1.3… perhaps I should have kept shopping around. Admittedly I needed quite a lot of scaffold due to my roof configuration. I am finding the same with battery (if I can even get a response!). If I put the battery quotes together with what I paid for solar I’d be getting 5.6, no optimisers, and a battery for 
  • Boffinboy24
    Options
    Oops pressed send too early!  If I put the battery quotes together with what I paid for solar I’d have got 5.6 kWp, no optimisers, and a battery for £13.7K - though admittedly that includes 20% VAT on battery as it’s now a retrofit
  • 94JDH
    94JDH Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    94JDH said:

Thank you. Don’t suppose you have a breakdown as to how much they apportioned to batteries? The more quotes I see on here I wonder why pricing for my solar was so high! I tried 3 installers and all started at roughly £1.5/kWp - in the end I managed to get £1.3… perhaps I should have kept shopping around. Admittedly I needed quite a lot of scaffold due to my roof configuration. I am finding the same with battery (if I can even get a response!). If I put the battery quotes together with what I paid for solar I’d be getting 5.6, no optimisers, and a battery for 
    Unfortunately the price is lumped together, but I've had a similar price, but also ones well above as well.
    18 x 390W (7.02kW) East/West split over two flat roof areas at 10 degrees inclination.
  • arty688
    arty688 Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    They seem to be £2810 + Vat just for the battery.
    8kw system spread over 6 roofs , surrounded by trees and in a valley.
  • Boffinboy24
    Options
    arty688 said:
    They seem to be £2810 + Vat just for the battery.
    Thanks Arty. Anyone had an install quote? Mine seem to be coming in at more than £6500-7000 including 20% VAT, which seems like quite a lot
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback