Adding batteries to existing solar system

Comments

• Regarding VAT there are a host of ways to get 5%, easiest of which is just being over 60!
    “ To qualify for the reduced rate, you must be over 60 or getting one or more of the following:
    • Child Tax Credit (but not the family element)
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Personal Independence Payment
    • a disablement pension
    • Housing Benefit
    • Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)
    • Income Support
    • War Disablement Pension
    • Working Tax Credit

You will also be eligible to get the reduced rate on the products if the total cost of them (not including VAT) is not over 60% of the cost of the installation of the products (not including VAT).

If your products cost more than 60% of the installation, you’ll only be entitled to the reduced rate on the installation.

Your supplier will be responsible for charging you the correct rate of VAT.”

• bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have tried to read and absorb if anyone can provide a little advice id appreciate. 

we have an 8 panel 4kw system installed for 9 years our inverter has just died. ( I'm told on some forums a possible dry solder joint)   

married and semi retired I'm over 60 no benefits and no plans to move. 

as we need to probably replace the inverter ( quoted £700 wish )  now seems to be a good time to add batteries.  

do we just replace inverter,   like for like.      upgrade to one that can charge battery system,      consider adding panels to give a better % charge and the possible 5%vat rate. 

Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    as we need to probably replace the inverter ( quoted £700 wish )  now seems to be a good time to add batteries. 
    A hybrid inverter (one that can charge batteries) is likely to add £600-ish to your quote. Batteries start at about £800 on top of that. Payback time is likely to be a decade or more, unless electricity prices remain at this year's high levels for the long term.
    I'm not saying yes or no, that's for you to decide.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have tried to read and absorb if anyone can provide a little advice id appreciate. 

we have an 8 panel 4kw system installed for 9 years our inverter has just died. ( I'm told on some forums a possible dry solder joint)   

do we just replace inverter,   like for like.      upgrade to one that can charge battery system,      consider adding panels to give a better % charge and the possible 5%vat rate. 

Assuming you are receiving a FIT you obviously don't want to make any changes that would jeopardise that.
    I think....
  • Just had a quote from a local company for a Givenergy 8.2kw, 3kw AC inverter, for £4.5k, so probably going to go for it.  Doesn't seem to bad, only lead time is looking like May.

• I have tried to read and absorb if anyone can provide a little advice id appreciate. 

Bear in mind that AC batteries are treated as potential generators. You, or your installer, will need to submit a detailed proposal to your DNO. Your DNO will then look at the total potential export from your PV solar plus battery and it could impose an export limitation to protect the local Grid infrastructure. DNOs are not known for their quick decision making. 
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 February 2022 at 3:10PM
    Dolor said:

Bear in mind that AC batteries are treated as potential generators. You, or your installer, will need to submit a detailed proposal to your DNO. Your DNO will then look at the total potential export from your PV solar plus battery and it could impose an export limitation to protect the local Grid infrastructure. DNOs are not known for their quick decision making. 
    This is an obstacle I faced with my DNO. My solar installation is already at the limit of what they will allow and in an enquiry from my potential installer they indicated the potential out put from a battery would be unacceptable to them even though it was not my intention for my battery to discharge to the grid at the same time as solar was producing.

I see the grid’s point of view though. If I was on an export tariff like Agile outgoing, when rates were attractive around 5-6pm in summer I could export over 3kw from my panels plus whatever the battery could put out. 

What is personally frustrating is that, while on paper my solar has the potential to export 7.2kw, because my system is split over East and West roofs, in practice my maximum sustained output is around 4.3kw (although it can peak at around 6kw with cloud edge effect).

Perhaps it is because I live in a rural area served by a transformer on a pole in a field that my output is restricted by the DNO and urban residents may not have the same issue.

Edit: my DNO apparently does not accept export limiting devices.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    The attitude of DNOs take towards battery storage surprises me. Exporting to the grid from batteries is something that you absolutely try to avoid. Anyone who has invested several thousand pounds on a storage system is likely to be aware of that.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    DNO’s could be proactive and produce a list of approved export limiting devices for customers in Ken’s predicament. 
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Dolor said:
    OP (well, OP for this discussion) is, I think, talking about a DC-coupled battery which won't be able to generate any more power than the solar inverter it's coupled to.
    JKenH said:
    This is an obstacle I faced with my DNO. My solar installation is already at the limit of what they will allow and in an enquiry from my potential installer they indicated the potential out put from a battery would be unacceptable to them even though it was not my intention for my battery to discharge to the grid at the same time as solar was producing.
    A DC-coupled battery might suit your circumstances better?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback