1p Rent Arrears

Options
Lettings agent is asking for 1p rent arrears for a tenancy that ended almost 1 year ago. All rent payments were made by direct debit and I had appropriate funds in my account to make these payments. They are saying late fees will be charged if I do not pay. Are they just trying to build up rent arrears fees or something? I can't see why a small scale lettings agent would waste time and money sending emails/invoices etc. for such a small amount.
What should I do about this and are there any ways I could pay this amount in the most inconvenient way possible.

Comments

• pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask them for a detailed statement of rent due and payments received - you never know, you may actually owe the money.

If the statement shows that you owe the arrears, pay them.
  • Rent12345
    Options
    pbartlett said:
    Ask them for a detailed statement of rent due and payments received - you never know, you may actually owe the money.

They have provided this, and it just shows 1p missing from one of the rent payments. The rent was paid direct debit, I never instructed how much rent should be removed from my account, it was automatic (and I always had sufficient funds for the direct debit to go through). Surely that is their error?

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even if it's their error, it doesn't mean you don't still owe the money.
  • pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    seems like there was a small accounting error in the past and you owe the money. suggest you just pay them. 
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rent12345 said:
    pbartlett said:

They have provided this, and it just shows 1p missing from one of the rent payments. The rent was paid direct debit, I never instructed how much rent should be removed from my account, it was automatic (and I always had sufficient funds for the direct debit to go through). Surely that is their error?

If you agreed to pay (for example) £100 per week but for some reason they only requested £99.99, you still owe them 1p because you agreed £100pw and them making a mistake collecting the rent doesn't change what you agreed when you started the tenancy. 

Although if it was their mistake, I wouldn't expect them to apply any late fees until they had given you opportunity to bring the account back up to date. 

I would suggest either sending them a penny or calling them and offering to pay by direct debit or debit card. Chances are they'll write it off, as it would cost them more to collect the payment than the payment will bring in. 

But first check it is correct. It could be a rounding error of their software. 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Rent12345
    Options
    If you agreed to pay (for example) £100 per week but for some reason they only requested £99.99, you still owe them 1p because you agreed £100pw and them making a mistake collecting the rent doesn't change what you agreed when you started the tenancy. 

Although if it was their mistake, I wouldn't expect them to apply any late fees until they had given you opportunity to bring the account back up to date. 

I would suggest either sending them a penny or calling them and offering to pay by direct debit or debit card. Chances are they'll write it off, as it would cost them more to collect the payment than the payment will bring in. 

But first check it is correct. It could be a rounding error of their software. 
    ok, thanks for your help

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Send them a cheque for 1p. Then see if they actually bother to present it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Ditzy_Mitzy
    Ditzy_Mitzy Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    macman said:
    Send them a cheque for 1p. Then see if they actually bother to present it.
    They might.  If it's a business that handles cheques, the OP's will just go in the pile with all the others to go to the bank.  
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Write back and ask if they'll accept a payment plan. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback