New Post Advanced Search

Child tax credit extra 500

16 replies 1.8K views
garyolderkgaryolderk Forumite
7 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi everyone, hope all is good in these gloomy times.
Just a quick question. As I am only receiving child tax credit at the moment does that mean I will not qualify for the one off payment of £500?
The way it is worded makes me think I will not get it as both is needed. Seems pretty unfair if this is the case.

Thanks.

Replies

• sammyjammysammyjammy Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are correct, you need to be receiving Working tax credit.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • garyolderkgaryolderk Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You are correct, you need to be receiving Working tax credit.

Well that sucks. Thanks for the confirmation.
  • edited 30 March at 11:19AM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 March at 11:19AM
    You do not have to be receiving WTC. You need to be a WTC claimant. If your Tax Credit calculation is base on both WTC and CTC it could be that as a result of your income you are only paid CTC but you would still qualify for the lump sum payment.

if your claim is only CTC (because you do not meet the qualifying conditions for WTC) then you do not qualify for the lump sum.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you qualify for the help to save account you qualify for the £500, there is a way of checking and I can never remember how to find it.
    I don't get WTC but do qualify for H2S so assume I will get the £500. But notices should be out soon and payment made in just over 3 weeks 
    7 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I think if you qualify for the help to save account you qualify for the £500, there is a way of checking and I can never remember how to find it.
    I don't get WTC but do qualify for H2S so assume I will get the £500. But notices should be out soon and payment made in just over 3 weeks 

Ive never even heard of that before. I will google it, thanks.
    I think it seems a little unfair to not include people on just Child tax credit. Yes it is a lot of money that will need to be paid back but ever other benefit claimant have received something extra. 
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not heard that.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • edited 30 March at 1:03PM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 March at 1:03PM
    garyolderk said: I think it seems a little unfair to not include people on just Child tax credit. Yes it is a lot of money that will need to be paid back but ever other benefit claimant have received something extra. 
    It's because the help is targeted at those who may have had reduced work as a result of COVID, not at all benefit recipients. Only people on Tax Credits and UC got extra. No other benefit claimants received anything extra.
    7 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    calcotti said:
    garyolderk said: I think it seems a little unfair to not include people on just Child tax credit. Yes it is a lot of money that will need to be paid back but ever other benefit claimant have received something extra. 
    It's because the help is targeted at those who may have had reduced work as a result of COVID, not at all benefit recipients. Only people on Tax Credits and UC got extra. No other benefit claimants received anything extra.

I know someone on UC who has never and will never work a day in his life yet gets the extra.
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    calcotti said:
    I know someone on UC who has never and will never work a day in his life yet gets the extra.
    Nonetheless the policy objective was to help people with reduced work. UC claimants not in work were the lucky beneficiaries of the fact it was too complicated to separate those on UC in work from those on UC not in work.
  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    calcotti said:
    I've not heard that.
    Sorry, I should have clarified that's my assumption, from what I've read the qualifying criteria for both is the same. I should have emphasised the think. 
    But I would have thought letters and texts will start going out next week to confirm who's getting the £500