Should I keep private health insurance taken with employer after redundancy?

Hi all
Been mulling this over for a while and still can't make my mind up so I would be grateful for any help.
I have private health insurance with my employer but I am about to be made redundant. The insurer states that if I can continue with the policy I will automatically be covered for any existing conditions.  I have a single policy and I am in my sixties. They have told me to keep the policy on would cost me in the region of £150.00 a month. 
If I decide to keep it on would it be better to stay with my current insurer as they will cover existing conditions or should I still shop around?

Thanks

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    A key question would be whether you have any pre-existing conditions and how much you want them covered.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • immy1
    immy1 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes I do have pre-existing conditions and want them to be covered. My spouse also has pre-existing conditions but does not currently have health insurance.  Maybe it would be better for me to stay with my current insurer and then shop around for a provider for my spouse? Are two single health cover policies normally cheaper than a joint policy? Thanks
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Shop around on the basis of you and/or your husband, and also ask your existing provider about adding on your husband.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • immy1
    Thank you to both for your advice.
  • helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 1,998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 March 2021 at 6:55PM
    hi. A joint policy is likely to be cheaper, but obviously shop around.  As well as trying the various online quotes, you could also try a broker.  They can sometimes get terms not available to everyone. 

FYI. I am female, aged 69 and currently pay £59.60 a month with Aviva.  I am happy with that, I have a £250 excess, and am not covered for extras like physio. I pay for that kind of thing  as I go along.  

Technically I am pre diabetic (but working on getting my blood sugar levels down).  I have fully disclosed this to Aviva.  I have actually lost 1.5 stones since taking out the policy so come renewal date (May) I will let them know.  I am expecting the premium to increase this year because I shall be hitting 70 but hopefully the weight loss might help keep the new Premiums down a bit.  

Mine also includes limited dental cover.  I think around £300 per year.  

Just shop around. 

• Interesting thread.
    I was intialy inclined to say, stay with the company. But reading on, yes, do shop around and be very detailed
    as they ask many questions. Not saying you will but we can forget the quick chat with doc
    about a pain, tingle etc and therefore request from do
    an encounter report, print out.
    Also ask if they are fixed or rising premiums. I'm not sure if they do fixed or both as mine
    and my family's covers are all via our employment.
  • immy1
    hi. A joint policy is likely to be cheaper, but obviously shop around.  As well as trying the various online quotes, you could also try a broker.  They can sometimes get terms not available to everyone. 

FYI. I am female, aged 69 and currently pay £59.60 a month with Aviva.  I am happy with that, I have a £250 excess, and am not covered for extras like physio. I pay for that kind of thing  as I go along.  

Technically I am pre diabetic (but working on getting my blood sugar levels down).  I have fully disclosed this to Aviva.  I have actually lost 1.5 stones since taking out the policy so come renewal date (May) I will let them know.  I am expecting the premium to increase this year because I shall be hitting 70 but hopefully the weight loss might help keep the new Premiums down a bit.  

Mine also includes limited dental cover.  I think around £300 per year.  

Just shop around. 

As mentioned,  I too have exisiting conditions and unfortunately one of them has just flared up again so I am seeking a consultation.  Due to this when I rang for a quote for my new policy for after I leave my employer,  the price for a single policy had tripled to over £450.00 a month!  What I am having to do now  is pay for a private consultation myself as I cannot get an appointment before my corporate policy ends.  Then if all goes well I need to phone back my existing provider within 60 days of my work plan ending to see what the quote is like later. Then if all is well health wise I think I will shop around and see what comes up for a joint policy quote. Thanks again to all.
  • ouch......that's a lot.  

I have just had my renewal notice.  The new premium will be £61.11, up from £59.60. With an option to get a reduction next year, if I join their "healthy living" programme.  Sign me up. 😂🤣.   

Seriously I'm really happy with that, because with me being 70 soon I expected a much bigger increase.  

So, once you've got your current issues sorted, definitely shop around.  I found an online broker, by going through the comparison websites. 
  • immy1
    Hi again. I am definitely going to try the broker route once my current health issue is sorted as there is no way I can afford the price they quoted. Would you mind me asking which company you ended up choosing? Thanks
  • I suppose I have what would be called a hybrid private health insurance with Benenden & costs me about £11 a month.
    I've got cover for my mum (78) who has used it once when she had problems with her mouth and is looking into using it again to deal with her cataracts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback