Marriage Tax Allowance Advice Please

Options
Hello I am new here so I hope I have put this post in the right section!
I contacted HMRC 2020 to arrange marriage tax allowance as I am a housewife and f/t mum. I ended up owing HMRC around £200. I may be returning to work over the coming months. I am conscious of the new tax year starting soon! So I was thinking of contacting HMRC to cancel the MTA. I really have no idea how this could impact me and my husband in terms of owing further money, when is the best time to cancel, if I leave things as they are and start working, how will this impact my wages etc??
I think MTA is very confusing and when I spoke to HMRC, they basically said they cannot give advice, it is my decision and that was pretty much it. Please could someone explain how it all works and answers my questions above if possible. Thank you so much. 

Comments

• AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    here is information on how it works

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
  • LivesinKent
    Options
    Thank you, I have already looked at that but it does not really answer my questions. 
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As I understand it you can't stop mid tax year so you'd need to cancel soon. If you're earnings are lower than than your reduced tax threshold there may be some benefit to continuing I think? 
    It may be worthwhile reposting in the benefits boards as there are others far more knowledgeable than myself but I've not seen them post in this board
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As I understand it you can't stop mid tax year so you'd need to cancel soon. If you're earnings are lower than than your reduced tax threshold there may be some benefit to continuing I think? 
    It may be worthwhile reposting in the benefits boards as there are others far more knowledgeable than myself but I've not seen them post in this board
    I'd have thought Cutting Tax rather than Benefits.

But it's hard to see how you owed them money with no taxable income. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I'd have thought Cutting Tax rather than Benefits.

But it's hard to see how you owed them money with no taxable income. 
    Yes, I was just thinking where I see the posters that have the answers, I don't think I pay enough tax to frequent that board :-)
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    -:) I can confirm they are quite friendly and more importantly they know what questions need to be answered before they can suggest the answer.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The person with lower income  (A)   can transfer part of  their personal allowance to the higher paid one  ( B) , if that person is not liable to higher rate tax.
     So A's personal allowance is reduced by 10% and B's is increased by the amount.
    if A's income is   below the reduced  personal  allowance then they will still pay no tax. But if there icome is not as low as that then they will become liable to tax on the amount no longer covered by personal allowance.
    e.g
    A  personal allowance 12500 - MTA 1250 = 11250
    A's income  is 10,000 . It is still covered by the personal allowance of 11250 so no tax due.
    But if A's income was 12000 it would no longer all be covered by the reduced PA so would be due to pay tax on the excess.
    12000 - 11250m = 750  @20%
    But B would get the full reduction in their tax liability of 11250  @20%
    So, as a couple they are better off . 
    The extra tax due by A is offset by the larger refund to B.

To cancel you need to do it now to have effect from 5 April

If you’re cancelling for another reason, the person who made the claim must cancel.

You can cancel Marriage Allowance online. You’ll be asked to prove your identity using information HMRC holds about you.

By phone

Contact Marriage Allowance enquiries to cancel or get help.

Marriage Allowance enquiries
    Telephone: 0300 200 3300
    Telephone from outside the UK: +44 135 535 9022
    Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
    Saturday: 8am to 4pm
    Find out about call charges

After you cancel

If you cancel because of a change of income, the allowance will run until the end of the tax year (5 April).

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sheramber said:
    The person with lower income  (A)   can transfer part of  their personal allowance to the higher paid one  ( B) , if that person is not liable to higher rate tax.
     So A's personal allowance is reduced by 10% and B's is increased by the amount.
    if A's income is   below the reduced  personal  allowance then they will still pay no tax. But if there icome is not as low as that then they will become liable to tax on the amount no longer covered by personal allowance.
    e.g
    A  personal allowance 12500 - MTA 1250 = 11250
    A's income  is 10,000 . It is still covered by the personal allowance of 11250 so no tax due.
    But if A's income was 12000 it would no longer all be covered by the reduced PA so would be due to pay tax on the excess.
    12000 - 11250m = 750  @20%
    But B would get the full reduction in their tax liability of 11250  @20%
    So, as a couple they are better off . 
    The extra tax due by A is offset by the larger refund to B.

To cancel you need to do it now to have effect from 5 April

If you’re cancelling for another reason, the person who made the claim must cancel.

You can cancel Marriage Allowance online. You’ll be asked to prove your identity using information HMRC holds about you.

By phone

Contact Marriage Allowance enquiries to cancel or get help.

Marriage Allowance enquiries
    Telephone: 0300 200 3300
    Telephone from outside the UK: +44 135 535 9022
    Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
    Saturday: 8am to 4pm
    Find out about call charges

After you cancel

If you cancel because of a change of income, the allowance will run until the end of the tax year (5 April).

We've tried doing this online before and can't get it to work. That link takes you to where you can apply for the MTA, we can't find anywhere to cancel an existing one. Going to have to try and phone.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Savvy_Sue
    Options
    If phoning, my experience is that it's worth trying BEFORE they are officially open for business, and definitely earlier in the day rather than later. 
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you, I have already looked at that but it does not really answer my questions. 
    it means that you must have given part of your personal allowance to your husband as you were not working in 2020.  i am not sure how you have ended up with a tax liability if you said that you were not working, unless you worked part way.  hmrc should have given you an explanation of how you have ended up owing them money.

if you notify them that you no longer wish to use the marriage tax allowance, it will take effect from the next tax year, that is starting from 06.04.2021.  if you are going to be working in the next tax year then giving your allowance to your husband would make little sense.

personal tax allowance is the amount that will be deducted from your gross taxable earnings before any tax is applied.  it is a tax free amount of earnings before you get taxed.

as i understand, you can only give £1,260 of your personal allowance for the next tax year, and this is paid as a tax credit to your husband of 20% x £1,260 = £252.  however, it means that your tax free amount of earnings will reduce by £1,260 so makes little sense to transfer this if you are going to start working.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback