PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lifetime ISA on a Property over £450k

Options
Hello all, 
I was after a little bit of guidance or advice on the below if possible.
I am a first time buyer and have just had an offer accepted on a property at £452,500. I have around a 15% deposit of which c17.5k is made up of a Lifetime ISA. I have only just realised that the Lifetime ISA cannot be used on a property greater than £450,000. This means I would need to withdraw the money from the LISA at a 20% or 25% charge (dependent on if the withdrawal is made before or after 6th April). This would mean i lose up to £4375 from my deposit amount. Even though i can still afford the mortgage and deposit after this it seems such a shame to lose over £4000 based on the fact the property price is ever so slightly over the threshold. 
My question is; is it possible to negotiate with the vendor to reduce the property price to say £449,999.99 then make an additional payment to them for the difference (£2500.01). Im reluctant to ask this question so early on in the process as i dont want to spook them about my affordability but ultimately they would receive the same amount for the property just structured differently. 
Does anyone feel this is realistic or should I suck up the loss and keep everything going as it is? 
Any help at all will be appreciated. 

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could offer them £450K + £2.5K for fixtures and fittings.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    You could offer them £450K + £2.5K for fixtures and fittings.
    And your solicitor will point out to you that, unless there really IS £2,500 worth of second-hand furniture being included, that's simply lying.
  • grumiofoundation
    grumiofoundation Posts: 3,050 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2021 at 8:11PM
    Options
    Obviously with hindsight you would (presumably) have offered 450k, and had you explained why chances are vendors would have accepted (0.5% of purchase price). 

In your position I would reduce offer to 450k and explain why this is a ‘hard’ limit. 

As an aside price doesn’t need to be <450k - can be 450k.

Making them an under the table offer of £2500 in a brown envelope is not a sensible idea, equally overpaying for a tatty old sofa and a couple of broken chairs isn’t the way to go...
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey, I remember a sale when 10k for fixtures and fittings on a 250k house went through on the nod (and that was when we had cliff edge SDLT), things have clearly tightened up a lot in the last 20 years...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure