Issue fixing dripping mixer tap

Options

Comments

• Jeepers_Creepers
    Options
    What I meant was,
    stevoh said:
    Thanks for your response. 

Just to clarify my understanding. You run each tap and then feel the temperature of the drips afterwards? So if the hot tap has just been running the drips would feel warmer?

I can get the plastic cover off the cartridge on the hot side, so if the issue was with this one it would have been easy to replace. 
    Hang on - where's this drip actually coming from?! I'd assumed it was from the actual tap handle and you just didn't know which side was hot and cold. Oops - sorry, my bad for being so sarcy in that post... :-)

So, the drip is coming from the tap spout? Again, tho', very hard to tell which side is dripping, since if you run the hot tap, the tap will warm up and the drips will remain warm for a while and then go cold as the tap body cools. Ditto for the cold - it'll start cold, and stay cold. So, ultimately the drips will end up cold regardless... I think that makes sense.

Stevoh, have yourself a cuppa - I'm going to suggest something radical. If you can replace a cartridge, you can almost certainly replace the whole tap. In fact it could be easier.

Would you like to post a photo of the whole tap, and perhaps some basic dimensions? And a photo from underneath, too, showing where it comes through the basin. Any idea of its make?

• Jeepers_Creepers
    Options
    Oh, and a photo of the isolating valves...
  • stevoh
    stevoh Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here you go. The brand is Damixer

• stevoh
    Options
    There’s two of those isolation taps but they both look the same. 
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,643 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not very money saving to replace the whole tap, but having seen the state of the one side you have been able to get to, it could be quite hard to unscrew the valve. You can't usually get a socket onto those fittings, and quite a lot of leverage is often required - and not very easy to obtain!
    You could try just slackening off the one that is exposed to see how easy it is or isn't.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2021 at 12:36PM
    Options
    stevoh said:
    The brand is Damixer

As in damixer in da bathroom on da sink 😂

I think it's probably Damixa 😉

Possibly this one - https://damixa.com/basin-mixer-34-p1213
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2021 at 1:27PM
    Options
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • stevoh
    Options
    neilmcl said:
    stevoh said:
    The brand is Damixer

As in damixer in da bathroom on da sink 😂

I think it's probably Damixa 😉

Possibly this one - https://damixa.com/basin-mixer-34-p1213
    Lol, yeah I must admit I read it that way in my head when I first saw the brand label.
  • Jeepers_Creepers
    Jeepers_Creepers Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2021 at 1:31PM
    Options
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324173438540?mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps
    I don't know if it's ceramic valve, but it's shooor a lot prettier :-)
  • stevoh
    Options
    I’m going to have a stab at replacing the cartridge, then if that doesn’t work I’ll try to change the tap. This is as much an exercise in gaining confidence in fixing things myself, rather than just saving money.

Stupid question, but what would be the best tool to buy to take the cartridge out? An adjustable wrench? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback